ABB as pump control: attn Dickdv

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
DickDV said:
Alan and Stationmaster, you need to take a close look at the instruction manual or technical catalog for ABB's ACS550. I have it in electronic form but I know that emails can't be posted here so I'm not sure just how to get these to you.

Maybe one of you out there can show me how to do this.

If you can get ahold of one of these documents, I would be happy to take you thru the software if you are interested.

I thought this may be a good subject for its own thread. This is the link to ABB for the ACS550 documentation, Dick can state if what is needed is there: http://www.abb-drives.com/StdDrives/RestrictedPages/Marketing/Documentation/V2_DocumentList.asp?Product=ACS550&PageType=PR&Week=0

Dick if you have different manuals etc. that are too large to attach to threads here then you can FTP them to my site, instructions are here: http://www.patchn.com/SMF/index.php?topic=103.0

How about those of you who are interested in the ABB Pump/Fan Macro features email me and I will reply with the ACS550 Instruction Manual as a PDF attachment. The address is rbdv01and then the and symbol. Then gmail with a dot following and then com. I hope that doesn't violate the no email rules in this BBS. I don't know how else to get it out. Once we all have the same document, I will run thru the features and software here on this forum.

You can get ABB drives manuals here. This is the language selection page. You have to dig down a couple of layers to get to the actual manuals. For US English, go here.

OK, folks, I'm going to assume that you've got the ABB ACS550 Rev E Instruction Manual available to you. If not, email me at the address buried in the post above and I will send you a PDF file of it.

I'll do this introduction in stages so we can field questions in between stages.

First go to pages 43 thru 50. On these pages you will find the standard software macros. When the drive comes out of the box new, it will be set on the ABB Standard Macro on page 43. Note that the analog inputs and outputs are on the upper terminal strip segment, the digital inputs are in the middle, and the relay outputs are on the lower segment.

This macro provides for the usual speed pot inputs, two wire maintained start/stop, and a variety of other IO.

This is NOT the macro normally used for closed loop pump control unless there is a separate PID controller elsewhere as in a PLC.

Flip over to page 48 where is shows the PID macro. This would be used for pump control where there is a pressure transmitter somewhere on the output side of the pump. The setpoint is assigned to Analog Input 1 which is on pins 2 (+) and 3 (-). It can be either a 0-10V (default) or 4-20ma signal by operating a small switch near the terminal strip and shown on the bottom of the page as J1. It is quite common to want the setpoint to be on the keypad rather than on the terminal strip and that can easily be changed in the software.

Next note that the 4-20ma (default) signal coming back from the pressure transmitter goes to Analog Input 2 which is pins 5 (+) and 6 (-). This input can also be changed to 0-10V by moving the lower half of J1.

On pins 10 and 11 there is a 24VDC power supply intended to power the switch circuits for the digital inputs. It has enough extra capacity to serve as the loop power supply for the 4-20ma transmitter as well, avoiding the need for a separate power supply.

On pin 14 (DI2) is a selector switch. When this terminal does not see 24VDC, the drive operates as an ordinary speed regulator with the speed pot being on Analog Input 1. When pin 14 sees 24VDC, the drive goes into PID mode using the setpoint and the pressure transmitter feedback to control pump output pressure. This is the configuration to use when using a single pump.

Notice that the drive comes configured with a Run Enable on pin 17 (DI5). This has to be jumpered closed or the pin assignment removed in the software or the drive will not run in any mode.

Finally, there is start/stop control on pin 13 (DI1) when running as a speed regulator and a separate start/stop control on pin 18 (DI6) when running in PID mode.

Parameters to set up the PID controller are in Group 40 which is listed in outline form on pages 60-61 and in detail on pages 120-127.

At parameters 4022 thru 4026 (page 126) you see the setup for the "sleep" function. Without getting into all the detail, it puts the drive to sleep (off) when the motor speed stays below a set speed for a set amount of time. The drive wakes up again when the pressure feedback signal falls below a set point for a set period of time. This is where a small bladder tank in the water system helps lengthen the sleep period and reduces short cycling under low flow conditions.

Let's stop here for a day or so and see what questions come in. Then I'll move to the lead-lag and lead-lag with rotation mode and its setup.

DickDV,
Don't forget that if you use the on board 24vdc for you 4-20ma transducer that you must jumper Agnd to Dcom. I use this macro all the time for well pumps. Once the pressure is maintained and the rpms on the VFD drop below a certain value I put the ABB VFD into Sleep Mode. Works perfect.

ABB ACS550 are so easy to use and setup.

Drake

Yes, Drake, you are correct. That nasty little jumper is probably the single most-often forgotten wiring item. That would be pin 6 to pin 11. Note that there also is a jumper from pin 11 to pin 12. Since the analog inputs and digital inputs are optically isolated and floating, these jumpers are needed to establish the negative side of the power supply as common.

Thanks

Does anyone have a cad drawing and/or a schematic symbol for one of these drives?

The more I read about it the more I'm liking it. We hired a sharp new maintenance tech to help out Bubba and he is really big on ABB drives - So when the ABB tech trailer came to town we went over to take a look - I'm seriously considering them for a hydraulic power unit under design right now where 2 of 6 motors are on drives.

Folks, I owe you all an apology on this thread. I got swamped with a lot of traveling and breakdowns and basically just dropped out.

I'm ready to pick up this subject again if there are those that are still interested.

Let me know by replying if you want me to finish this thread.

FINALLY! Here we go again.

I ended above with the single pump setup using the internal setpoint controller.

Now we are going on to control multiple pumps. The drive can control as many as six pumps with option cards installed but, in standard configuration, it will control up to four. Let's use four to keep it simple. Also, we are going to assume one variable speed and three across the line with mag starters. That's usually called lead/lag.

Turn to page 49 in the instruction manual. This is the PFC macro or Pump and Fan Control. Notice that it is set up like the PID macro except that the bottom relay is labeled "Auxiliary Motor Switch". This would be a single extra motor as in a total of two pumps. A change in the software would reconfigure the relays so there would be two auxiliary motors as in a total of three pumps or three auxiliaries for a total of four.

Notice that on pin 15 (DI3) we have the speed regulator/PID selector. I am going to proceed assuming that this is jumpered to +24V so we are in PID mode.

At the bottom of page 63 is the PFC Group parameter summary with the detailed descriptions on page 136.

Starting in right at the first parameter 8103, 8104, and 8105 provide a little additional amount to the setpoint reference each time an additional pump is added to the system. These are not often used and default to zero.

Parameters 8109, 8110, and 8111 set the frequency of the variable speed motor which, if the motor operates there for a set amount of time, the next auxiliary pump will be started. These are typically set to the same frequency around 60Hz and the time is typically 10 seconds. To add auxiliary pumps, the drive picks up one of its output relays which pilots a mag starter on the extra motors.

Parameters 8112, 8113, and 8114 set the low speed on the variable speed motor which, if it operates there on dropping demand for a set number of seconds, the drive will drop out one of its output relays which drops out one of the starters on the auxiliary pumps.

Each time the drive adds or subtracts a motor, the PID loop senses the change and changes the variable speed motor to compensate for the addition or loss of the auxiliary pump.

The pickup and dropout delays are set at 8115 and 8116.

8117 is where you tell the drive how many motors you have in the system. Read this material carefully as it is the heart and soul of the Leag/Lag system. It also provides a nice diagram of the Lead/Lag with Rotation (or Autochange as they call it!).

I'm going to stop here to see that everyone is with me at this point.

If you've got questions, now is a good time to ask them.