ControlNet HMI?

kennyb

Hi all,
has anyone ever come across any HMI manufacturer other than Rockwell who uses ControlNet as a comms option? All our PVs are obsolete and I'm toying with going down a non- AB route. However, in at least 12 cases I am stuck with CNet as an interface. All info gratefully received.
Cheers
Kenny

Panelview

Have you looked at the new Panelview Plus series? Right out of the box they come with Ethernet comms capable of talking to any of your AB racks that are on-line via the LAN, which in itself is a tremendously handy feature, but you can also order a CNB/CNBR module (or several others) for it that just attaches to the back. We have several 15" units in service and have been very happy with them-- Of course you will need new software to set them up--RSView ME I believe. You'll have to ask your AB rep.

Our PC-SCADA also talks CNET via an iFix ABR/RSLinx OEM driver combo and an AB PCI-CNBR card (I forget the AB p/n right now). The ABR driver is a bit fuzzy to setup but has worked fine for us.

There are a myriad of HMI's for sale out there right now but few that talk CNET, so I'd probably go with a new Panelview.

ControlNet

ControlNet, despite claims to the contrary, is a Rockwell supported protocol. DeviceNet is supported by other vendors and there are many items available from other vendors, I/O, drives, etc.

I never did understand why Rockwell stuck with ControlNet when there was a far superior solution available, Profibus. I has all of the capabilies of ControlNet and enjoys wide industry support.

Thanks guys.

I hear you on the Profibus, unfortunately I'm stuck with CNET as there's lots of it on this site. PW3, we already got a new PV+ and SW but we can't get it up and running. We already got panel PCs and 3k InTouch licenses to replace 2 of our plant HMIs as that was cheaper than the PV+! The problem is the other 12 PV locations - not cost effective and difficult to expand the LAN to those areas. Just need a simple HMI, the PV+ is giving us some real pain.o_O

RSView

You're right, the software is a pain. We had to install the full package (including the FactoryTalk option) and the latest RSLinx to get it all to work right. Once that was done, we had to assign an IP to the PV and then establish a DDE comms path to the processor in RSLinx. Then it all took off and we can now download our project (a .mer file) directly into the unit.

ControlNet is also odd in that you have to have an additional piece of software to "start-up" the network. We recently put in a pair of CLogix (L63's) in a redundancy scheme with a 12-slot remote I/O rack. After trying for a good week we finally ended up having to have the vendor's tech rep come in with his laptop and activate the ControlNet for us, and then purchase another bit of software that would do this for us.

I think I would get onto my AB vendor and have him send someone knowledgeable with their new software out to get you going.

kennyb said:
Hi all,
has anyone ever come across any HMI manufacturer other than Rockwell who uses ControlNet as a comms option? All our PVs are obsolete and I'm toying with going down a non- AB route. However, in at least 12 cases I am stuck with CNet as an interface. All info gratefully received.
Cheers
Kenny
Maybe this company can help...

http://www.indusoft.com/

What is the problem with the PV+'S? You just don't understand the software or what?
Half of the plants in NA are using them.....why can't you?
Maybe you should post some of your problems? Maybe we can help!
I know they are a much different animal than the older PV's, but the development systems are amazing. You can test completely on your PC, and forget about downloading to the unit UNTIL you are completely satisfied with your app!
In other words, you don't need to order the PV'+'s until you need them, live.
Use your support, just don't give up and call the product difficult.