Ancient Panelview Comm problem

jrs2563

I am still using some old Panelview units (2711-tc1) vintage 1994. I have to make some programming updates to several of these in the field. I am using Panelview Development Software - Rev 5.01.00 07/09/93. My problem is when I make changes in my programming lab using a desktop computer with winxp, I don't have any problem transferring the program updates to the panelview. But, since I don't expecially want to lug these updated units to where they are needed, I would rather make these same changes onsite using my laptop. Problem is when trying to download my changes from my laptop to a panelview, I get the following error: the window label is "16 bit ms-dos subsystem. The message is PDS The system cannot open Com1 Port requested by the application. Choose "close" to terminate the application.

I compared settings between the 2 computers, they are identical, checked the baud rate on the computer & the panelview, they are both set at 9600. Like I said, the desktop transfer works fine. Just cant figure out the problem with the laptop. Any ideas? Thanks...Jim

My guess is that the COM1 port is being used by another application or service on your laptop. In the Rockwell world, the two most likely culprits are an RSLinx Enterprise serial driver (from RSView Studio) or the 1747-PIC driver service from RSLinx Classic.

There are other services that can take over the serial port, from other vendors (Automation Direct and Siemens MPI drivers can do the same thing).

Following on from what Ken Roach has already said RSLinx sometimes has the nasty habit of replacing the Microsoft Serial Port driver, with an AllenBradley one, which effectively prevents anyone else from using it.

The solution is to use Device Manager to reload the Microsoft serial port drivers.

Whether this solves your problem, remains to be seen.

Mr. Roach...you hit it the nail right square on the head...as did Marc. The problem is/was that RSlinx was set to load on startup on the laptop, and was taking the serial port. First thing I did when I got to work this morning was check that on the desktop (not loaded on startup) and laptop. Took it out of the startup file on the laptop, rebooted, loaded the PDS software and downloaded to the panelview perfectly. I did go out in the field and took care of the updates I had to do. Thank you guys again!! Jim Schroll