pv550 and strings

drewcrew6

Something I have not been able to figure out is how to display a "string" type file in a pv550. I have been able to get an ascii file displayed but just can't get the string file.

Does any one have any hints for me to try?

Drewcrew6

What kind of strings you have ? So are they 'not content' or content debending of something.
If they are content, you can write them to PV550 as table and point them by one pointer as INT or UINT number.

what I have is a [Temp05 module to a 1746 basic card. (scroll down on link to get idea of whats in the string) The xfer from basic card puts the info into a string file. (xfering to an ascii file isnt as clean ) I'm using port2 on the basic card for that module and am able to connect to port1 using hyperterminal on the pc for set-up, monitoring and modification to the Temp05.

I have tried to use a text box and an embedded variable (character) to display the string. But it just won't work, it works for an ascii type file.

I am not sure what you mean by "content" or "not content".

Thanks
Drewcrew6

Last edited:
Sorry my english, group of fixed strings where pointer value means:
0 No selection
1 Conveyor 100 (Selected)
2 Kicker 101
3 Receiver 102
4 Conveyor 103 etc.. I Catch up your problem, not fixed !
Someone know how. It is also possible manipulate that string to number, but maybe needs unnesassory work if PV can handle string.
Maybe string must be fixed lenght ? Someone know that 2.

Last edited:
okay I understand what you mean now Seppolean.

I have done that with other items but won't work for this.
Temp #01=74.62F Is an example of the strings.
I will have about 14 of these strings so I need a nice clean way of doing this without much string manipulation. I do have to extract the zone # and actual temp to a integer file and can just display that. But I would like to view the strings during set-up of the temp05. Eventually the plc will take care of set-up automatically. So I would like to monitor what is happening when I initiate that.

Thanks
Drewcrew6