1 CPU and 2 ControlNetworks to 1 Remote Chasis ??

pedroascencio

Hello,

Pleased !!, I need a opinion about this controlLogix configuration.

I have:
1 chassis Local and 1 chassis Remote.
In the Local chassis I have only one processor and 2 CNB modules (not redundant, just CNB).
In the Remote chasis I have 2 CNB modules and I/O digitals modules that command differents motors and read its status.

Is possible to connect each pair of CNB (Local-Remote) by separate to only one CPU?
I don't know if is possible that the CPU address the same Remote Chassis by 2 diferents networks !!!
Meaby
I am going to have some problems synchronizing both networks separately by RSNetworx.

thanks in advance.!!

The short answer, Yes it is possible.

You just have to decide which I/O modules in your remote rack will be "owned" via which ControlNet. Each module must have one "owner".

You can add listen only connections to each module in addition to the "owner" connection.

I am not sure what your goal for implementing this topology. Why do you want to use 2 networks?

I have used multiple networks to the same rack more than once. I have always done it because I had another processor in the other rack and needed more network capacity for messages and produce/consume data. I have never done it for an actual remote chassis with no processor.

RSL

Hello RSL, and thank you for yor reply.

The goal is to write/read Remote I/Os by 2 "completely serapate" controlNet networks, so that if one of them is down (1 module fall down), the other networks keeps up and take the control and the systems follow working. My custemer doesn't want CNBR modules beteween Local and Remote Chassis, he wants 2 real ways.

You said me that only listen connections are posible. Why?
If I use GSV instrucction to switching between networks, maybe could implement write/read connections?
I never did it again, but I think it is possible.

pedroascencio said:
Hello RSL, and thank you for yor reply.

The goal is to write/read Remote I/Os by 2 "completely serapate" controlNet networks, so that if one of them is down (1 module fall down), the other networks keeps up and take the control and the systems follow working. My custemer doesn't want CNBR modules beteween Local and Remote Chassis, he wants 2 real ways.

You said me that only listen connections are posible. Why?
If I use GSV instrucction to switching between networks, maybe could implement write/read connections?
I never did it again, but I think it is possible.

Your customer wants redundancy without paying for it.

I doubt you'll be able to provide it.

My customer recentely had a fail in a CNB module (not in the media network), for this reason he doesn't want only one module.

I doubt that RSNetworx be able to sinchronize this topology and that via GSV instruction I be able to switch I/Os keeping up the systems.

In this moment I am trying to obtain the necesary modules to test.!!

Yes, Next monday I am going to talk personally with a Rockwell suport person.
I expect to test this topoly and then communicate all of you my experience.
thanks a lot.