Factorytalk Password?

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was sent files from our vendor for new equipment, both PLC and OIT. The OIT, is a Panelview Plus 1000 so it uses the new RSView software. I double click on the filename.apa and the following message comes up,
restore the RSView machine edition application
restore the RSView machine edition application and Factorytalk local directory. If I select the first, it asks for a new name, then something about restoring Archive, then an error. If I select the second choice, it asks for my Factorytalk password, which when installing the software, I never entered. If I try to open through the file menu, it doesn't even see my filename.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
George

Application Manager?

George,

Have you tried using the restore function from within RSView Studio Tools? Or just launch the application manager directly from START..."RSView Enterprise/Tools".

It may behave better in the Application Mangager.

If not, you may need to get the username/password used by your vendor and create that account in your Factory Talk on your machine.

LeoK

Still the same issues as before, but, at least there it reconized the filename. So then I take it the filename.apa is an archive?

Thanks
George

Yes, it's an archive of the project

I've used this feature successfully to send RSView ME applications to customers. Wonder if it's a revision issue? Or, maybe an issue with the archive. Can the vendor restore it ok on their machine?

LeoK

filename.apa is an RSView Studio project archive file.

You use the Application Manager utility to create archive files and to restore them into the RSView Studio environment.

The "restore FactoryTalk Local Directory" restores from the .apa file the Users and Passwords in the project, and writes them over your current FactoryTalk Local Directory. That's why it requires you to enter the FT Local Directory password.

You probably did enter a FT password when you installed RSView Studio, even if you don't remember doing so. The default user ID is "Administrator" with a blank password.

If the RSView ME application doesn't use security, then it's easiest to just restore the application and not the FT Local Directory.

In that case, you're going to have to capture that elusive error message and chase it down.

What revision of RSView Studio do you have installed on your development machine ? Is it recently installed or has it been on your PC for a while (I'm thinking about password aging, here.)

We just purchased it about a month ago. But, already today I received an upgrade. I will contact the vendor tomorrow about sendinf an un-archived version to me if trying Administrator doesn't work. Thanks for the replys.

George

The *.APA archive file is the only way to transfer a project from one RSView Studio development computer to another. It's what you want.

Did you manage to take note of the text of the error message that appears when you attempt to un-archive this particular *.APA file ?

And (I know, I'm being wild here) did you call RA Tech Support ?

I was able to get it to work. I needed to install RSLinx Enterprise

Just having RSLinx classic on the computer wasn't enough.

Thanks for the help.

George