RSLinx preventing windows from shutting down?

check to see if RS linx is hanging by using CTRL alt del task manager
if its not responding it may be trying to shutdown that application first but unable to do so. The problem could also be some other service that gets opened when you run RS link so you may try shutting down the running tasks 1 by one then try to log off. essentially when you do a shut down Windows will try to turn off all running tasks and save any memory registers if it hangs on any of these processes it will prevent the Warm boot sequence and log off sequence.

Thanks for the suggestion mordred. When I shutdown RSLinx first, then windows will shutdown. I would like to be able to shutdown or logoff Windosx without first shutting down RSLinx. I am running RSLinx 2.43. This problem is on multiple PCs too. One is running Windows XP and the other is Windows 2000.

I've had 1784-PCC, -PCD, or -PCMK drivers keep Windows from entering Standby mode, but not keep it from performing a Shutdown.

Another suspect is the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver, since it runs as a Windows Service.

Have you called RA Tech Support and gotten their input on this ?

What exactly is happening? Is there a prompt that pops up telling you to close RSLinx or is Windows just ignoring the shutdown request?

OG

** EDIT **

Is RSLinx running as a program or as a service? Are you manually opening it, or is it launching automatically?

Also, what version of Windows and what Service Pack?

Last edited:
No prompt. Windows just doesn't respond to the request. RSLinx looks like it goes away in the task bar, but then reappears. I know RSLinx is not shutting down and reopening because I had the software open on the screen to verify that it was still open.

What's weird is, Windows will respond properly and shut down or log off to the request the first time after the first boot up, but after that it will not respond to the request.

I am using a 1784-PKTX with the lastest driver from the website

Last edited:
Operaghost said:
** EDIT **

Is RSLinx running as a program or as a service? Are you manually opening it, or is it launching automatically?

Also, what version of Windows and what Service Pack?

RSLinx is opening as a service launching automatically.

Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2

I know there is a setting to prevent it from running as a service however I cannot seem to find it but have seen some previous posts here on how to turn that off. I'll try to find the setting tomorrow

There is a little utility installed along with RSLinx, and accessible through the same path as the RSLinx application.

Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel

Stop the service, uncheck the "Always run as a Service" box, then restart RSLinx as an Application.

This may not be the issue at all, but rather something about your PC's BIOS and the driver for the 1784-PKTX.

Did RA Tech Support get a chance to help on this yet ?

This will work (Easy way)

mordred said:
I know there is a setting to prevent it from running as a service however I cannot seem to find it but have seen some previous posts here on how to turn that off. I'll try to find the setting tomorrow

You can also do this from your windows services panel (under control panel/services/..)

The suggestion to disable the service on start up is not an option, it's required for my purposes.

I got this workaround from Rockwell that did not work, because my language settings were already unchecked. The solution has to be a typo. They tell me to adjust my language settings.

Question Unable to log off from Windows XP when RSLinx Classic is running as a service
trnsp.gif
Answer <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> Problem:
After logging on and off multiple times, a user is not able to log off from Windows XP Pro (SP1 or SP2) until the RSLinx Classic service is shutdown first. The RSLinx Classic icon in the System Tray disappears for a second and comes right back

Cause:
This is a computer specific issue.

Verify:
The System Event Viewer reports the following

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1073
Date: 7/11/2006
Time: 5:46:02 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ComputerName
Description: The attempt to power off ComputerName failed
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Clicking on the link gives you the following information:

Details Product: Windows Operating System
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: WARNING_EW_SHUTDOWN_CANCELLED
Message: The attempt by user %2 to restart/shutdown computer %1 failed

Explanation:
This event is written when a user or application attempts, but fails, to restart or shut down the computer by using either the graphical user interface (GUI) or the shutdown command.

User Action:
If you still want to restart or shut down the computer, save any open files, close any applications that are running, and then you can,
- Use either the graphical user interface (GUI) or the shutdown command again.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then while pressing CTRL, click Shut Down to force a shutdown.
- Press the reset or power button on the computer.

Workaround:
Go to Control Panel and double click on Regional and Language Options.
Uncheck all checkbox under the Languages tab. They are "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)" and "Install files for East Asian languages".
Reboot the computer.

Try this....

• Remove the option to start as a Service
  • Add RSLinx to the Windows Startup folder
This will make RSLinx open as an application instead of as a service. It should still allow you to do the same things.

You might also make sure that after you copy the RSLinx option to the Startup folder, that you modify the shortcut and set it to Run Minimized.

OG

Another possibility is a USB device causing issues. I had this problem with a USB keyboard causing shutdown problems.

Try this:

• From the desktop right-click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the Hardware tab
  • Click on the Device Manager button
  • Scroll down (if necessary) to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Expand USB Controllers and you will likely see several entries labeled USB Root Hub
  • Right-click on the first USB Root Hub and select Properties
  • click on the Power Management tab
  • Remove the check on the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box
  • Repeat for each USB Root Hub
  • Reboot the PC when done just to be sure
Norton Anti-Virus has been a notorious cause of Windows shutdown problems also. If you have Norton installed, try disabling it. It is probably running as a service also. If no Norton, try the same with whatever AV program you may be using.

OG

Last edited:
The fix:

I installed the languages: rebooted: then deleted the languages. The actually fixed the problem. Crazy, but it worked.

Thanks everybody for the help!