WINCC - SQL instructions

Hi folks,

I'm using wonderware for several years and I must say that it works
OK. Now I switched companies so I also had to switch from
wonderware(intouch) to wincc.
With intouch you could use standard SQL instructions en connect
easely to a (industrial)SQL-database. Is this also possible with
wincc? Is it build in or do I need to buy somekind of an add-in?

Rudi Frederix

Well, WinCC supports VBA/VBScript, so you can use ADO to connect up to any Native (ADO) driver or ODBC Driver database... SQL Server, Oracle, (SyBase is Native to WinCC), MySQL, etc.

For simple demo scripts, take a look at
http://www.wincc.net/

Actually, thinking about WonderWare's InSQL (If that is the intermediary) and the WonderWare SQL Script extensions, you do have a bit of a learning curve if you haven't used ADO before.

It's really not all that hard though, just confusing. Note that if you do go the VBS/VBA approach, be sure, be sure, be sure to use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) and not RDO or VBSQL. I'm serious. VBSQL is very annoying (and old), RDO you cannot legally use unless you have one of Microsofts Enterprise Developer Studio Licenses, and both RDO and VBSQL have some very nasty evil things hiding in the code if you aren't careful. ADO is much much smoother.

There is an excellent book from Microsoft Press on interfacing Visual Basic 6.0 to SQL Server, though I can't think of the name or author right now :(

Last edited: