Old 5TI sequencer program access. (CNC)

mjcandlec

Can anyone provide info to help me access the existing program in a Texas Instrument 5TI sequencer, so I can write an equivalent for an SLC. What do I need as in software and hardware, to upload and read the lines?

There are 3 ways to access the program that I know of:
1.[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5TI-2000/[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2001 [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Read/Write hand programmer . 1 Instruction at a time. Write it down!
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VPU-200[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Video programming[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] unit. w/Software - Prog/edit/backup ladder/list to diskett or printer(pc captured file)
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5TI-3101[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Computer link [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]or 5TI-3102[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Terminal link (One of these can make a printout similar to a VPU200, through a terminalprogram if I remember right.

Units are avalable through serveral sources
[/font]. f.ex: http://www.tirepair.com/5TI.htm

Bardes
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Well, unless you got a VPU terminal you are hosed. I have the UP/DOC software by Xcel Controls, Inc. and according to the documents you need either a VPU or a 3101 or 3102 Computer Link and a DOS v3.1 or higher based PC.
Had it been a TI PM550 you would be OK. It has serial comm ports.
Look around for a big gray box with a small crt screen and drop down keyboard. If you got one you are may be all set. As long as you have the system boot disk. Maybe you can ebay a 3102 link.
I am leaving the office shortly but will check back on Monday if you like.

Check with your local rep.
I was able to borrow the VPU from a local rep when worked with PM550's.
2 types of diskettes as well, Low Level Format and High Level Format, for whichever VPU you end up borrowin/using.

Personally I would not try and read the old program, I would start fresh with a functional description and start coding from there. The original program would have been written around the limitations of the plc (only basic integer maths) and with years of bandaids and patches.
I have found the start fresh approach always results in a much better program. Write the functional description by discussing how the machine should work, not just how it currently works.

Last edited:
Are there any newer programmmers or software out there that can be used to interface with the old VPU200's?
I'm like everyone that still has the old suit case programmers (VPU200-3104), it's on it's last leg. There are people out there that will re-build my unit or sell me another one, but I had rather invest the money in a software that will communicate or bite the bullet and change out the old TI Sequencer.
I would prefer to upgrade to a compatable software and leave the old hardware as is for now. Is there any such thing out there that you know of? Thank you in advance for your posts.

Are there any newer programmmers or software out there that can be used to interface with the old VPU200's?
I'm like everyone that still has the old suit case programmers (VPU200-3104), it's on it's last leg. There are people out there that will re-build my unit or sell me another one, but I had rather invest the money in a software that will communicate or bite the bullet and change out the old TI Sequencer.
I would prefer to upgrade to a compatable software and leave the old hardware as is for now. Is there any such thing out there that you know of? Thank you in advance for your posts.

(see my post 9/7/07)
I would really think that money well spent would be to replace the TI Sequencer with something current. How much I/O does it have? I just got a project to upgrade a TI530T with a remote rack to new. We can't afford on most equipemnt to wait to either find new/old or send out for repair any cards. Yours is a 5TI maybe? Just a relay replacer. I have done several that involved replacing the CPU with what was then a TI435, now an Automation Direct 450 should work. The problem is finding the 6MT(?) interface card. But you would still have I/O from 1980's. Yes ours is still working fine but it on non-critical processes. We replaced our last TI PM550 about 3 years ago with an AB SLC5/04.
The old TI is great stuff but nothing lasts forever.

Neil:
I found a good quality, quick, easy, inexpensive, and very powerful upgrade solution to old Texas Instrument 5TI2000 Sequencer-PLC. I quickly and very successfully upgraded the Texas Instrument 5TI2000 Sequencer-PLC, TCAM, and keypad Programmer (80 Discrete Inputs and 60 Discrete Outputs) of a 27 years old very expensive Rubber-Plastic Injection Molding machine with new PLC-HMI. New PLC material cost was less than $2000 and includes: PLC, HMI (2Lines x 20Characters) replaces TCAM for operator setpoints entry, 80 Digital Inputs (120 VAC), 60 Digital Outputs (120 VAC Triac), user friendly yet very powerful Microsoft Windows based PLC and HMI programming software, 24 VDC Power Supply for HMI, wire, wire tags, terminal strips, fused terminal blocks, butt splices, fork & ring terminals, taxes, S&H. Since customer provided a copy of 5TI2000 400-rungs program printout and TCAM 60-setpoints list, It was very quick, easy, and inexpensive for me to accurately duplicate 100% existing 5TI2000 and TCAM programs (PLC & HMI programming, troubleshooting, debugging, and testing about 60 hours). The machine has been running for 27 years. There was no need for costly reinvention of the wheel, besides the customer demanded a quick solution to minimize downtime. Because of the massive number of wires 140 I/O, removing existing 5TI and TCAM, and carefully installing and wiring new PLC-HMI (zero missed wiring) took about 4 days. After proven that new PLC-HMI system worked, I enhanced the new PLC system by adding new hardware and software safety interlocks to eliminate potential machine self inflicted damages and operator injury. I research and evaluated many Programmable Relays and PLC for this 5TI upgrade. The PLC I selected is the most inexpensive and cost effective solution, at least 1/2 the cost of competitors. If you are interested in upgrading your old obsolete 5TI Sequencer and need my help, please call me Albert Martinez (707)208-4845 cell, [email protected]. I am ready to assist you immediately.

Mjcandlec:

The Texas Instrument 5TI Programmer handheld keypad is the most inexpensive solution, but not necessary the most user friendly. You need the 5TI Programmer Manual to decipher the displayed single line alphanumeric program command and write every displayed command; then, convert to ladder logic format. This is tedious and difficult but not impossible. I do own a 5TI Programmer. I agree with you and recommend reading and recording the existing 5TI Sequencer program and using it as a template for the new PLC program. The new PLC program must accurately duplicate 100% existing old 5TI program. I do not recommend starting from scratch. If the machine program has been running, performing, and executing correctly all these years, why spend precious time and money reinventing the wheel. Once you proven that new PLC system performed at least as good as old 5TI Sequencer system; then, proceed to make hardware and software enhancement to new PLC system.

The Allen Bradley SLC PLC, AutomationDirect PLC, or even Programmable Relays are a very expensive overkilled solutions to 5TI Sequencer upgrades.

I found a good quality, quick, easy, inexpensive, and very powerful upgrade solution to old Texas Instrument 5TI2000 Sequencer-PLC. I quickly and very successfully upgraded the Texas Instrument 5TI2000 Sequencer-PLC, TCAM, and keypad Programmer (80 Discrete Inputs and 60 Discrete Outputs) of a 27 years old very expensive Rubber-Plastic Injection Molding machine with new PLC-HMI. New PLC material cost was less than $2000 and includes: PLC, HMI (2Lines x 20Characters) replaces TCAM for operator setpoints entry, 80 Digital Inputs (120 VAC), 60 Digital Outputs (120 VAC Triac), user friendly yet very powerful Microsoft Windows based PLC and HMI programming software, 24 VDC Power Supply for HMI, wire, wire tags, terminal strips, fused terminal blocks, butt splices, fork & ring terminals, taxes, S&H. Since customer provided a copy of 5TI2000 400-rungs program printout and TCAM 60-setpoints list, It was very quick, easy, and inexpensive for me to accurately duplicate 100% existing 5TI2000 and TCAM programs (PLC & HMI programming, troubleshooting, debugging, and testing about 60 hours). The machine has been running for 27 years. There was no need for costly reinvention of the wheel, besides the customer demanded a quick solution to minimize downtime. Because of the massive number of wires 140 I/O, removing existing 5TI and TCAM, and carefully installing and wiring new PLC-HMI (zero missed wiring) took about 4 days. After proven that new PLC-HMI system worked, I enhanced the new PLC system by adding new hardware and software safety interlocks to eliminate potential machine self inflicted damages and operator injury. I research and evaluated many Programmable Relays and PLC for this 5TI upgrade. The PLC I selected is the most inexpensive and cost effective solution, at least 1/2 the cost of competitors. If you are interested in upgrading your old obsolete 5TI Sequencer and need my help, please call me Albert Martinez (707)208-4845 cell, [email protected]. I am ready to assist you immediately.