S5 PLC Memory Full

Rockford Bass

Greets all,

I am having trouble with a 135U rack (the exact processor I didn't write down but I am going back to the job site in a few) After selecting the transfer all blocks option to PC and saving the project, I am unable to download it back without getting "PLC Memory Full" and an option to compress memory that does not help. I have tried erasing all blocks in the PLC and everything I could think of, I noticed a thread here from last year that touched the same issue and was kinda answered by a user named hanung.

here is a link to the old discussion

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/archive/index.php/t-22118.html

Factory down scared senseless thanks in advance

First save the blockes in the PLC to your PC/PG then carry out a complete reset of the CPU.
Then load the DB's first (and DX's) followed by the rest of the program blocks (PB/FB/SB/FX) then finally all the OB's.
This should load the DB's into DB memory; there is also an OB that will transfer DB's from Ram into DB memory

I have done a 'full reset' then re-down loaded the program before, the S5's don't erase the old logic they just keep writing until its full, I have posted the reset procedure several times before you can search it...if you need it

As moggie has stated...Save/up load first, then reset :)

EDIT:
This is for a (135? 942) reset but it may work with your 135.. I may have these reversed but check and see it you have 2 switches if so then this is how you reset it, but save first

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=227578&postcount=2

Good luck :D and when they are standing over your shoulder asking how much longer??? the whole plant is waiting???

Just tell them "stand back I saw this done in a cartoon once and it work there" so it should here :D

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys
Just got back from the factory, no internet there could be had. I will be there AGAIN in the morning and will try the things suggested. I am using TTI's S5 software and talked to them and they claimed not to have heard of this problem before.
Also my processor is a 928 with a 32K ram module plugged in. According to my software my blocks are now 36k bytes in total.

Thanks again.

Check in the code if any DB's are generated at startup.

This is a problem we had once.
The code checked for how much space left in plc then generated a massive DB to use as a printer buffer.
This was common in some (not mention any names) in-line rotary cookers.
because the DB would not normally reside on the backup disk but an upload would, there would not be enough memory to take all blocks.
if a block is generated (not always GDB generate db , as the above company wrote it's own code to generate a db pointer & header).
There was also a special way of starting the PLC, cold start then a warm re-start I believe.