RSView32 and "appstart"

jrexrode

I'm using the "appstart" command in RSView to start and pull forward the windows calculator program. It works fine with the exception that if the calculator isn't closed before the RSView screen in the background is clicked on, the calc program goes to the background.

If the calc program goes to the background and the calculator start button is pressed again, then I now have 2 copies of calc running. I tried to avoid this by having calc already running in the background and using the "appactivate" to pull it forward. That works fine until someone closes it down and I'm left with no way to re-start it.

I'm thinking about setting an internal tag based on whether or not the calc program is running. I've looked through what functions are available, but I don't see one that I think will work.

Is this best handled with VBA code?

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Try using this bit of VBA code. I have used it to get around the situation you describe.

Public Sub Calc()
On Error GoTo Cal
AppActivate "Calculator"
Exit Sub
Cal:
Ret = Shell("C:\Windows\System32\Calc.exe", vbNormalFocus)
End Sub

If Calc is running it will be activated, if not, an error is generated and Calc is loaded and started.

One more thing: to get it to come forward you'll need to set the registry key "foregroundlocktimeout" to zero.