Proper cable to connect to a S7-200

z28summit

Is there anyother cable that will work other than the "Intelligent RS 232/PPImulti-master cable" or the "Intelligent USB/PPImulti-master cable". I am not sure if there is an ethernet card istalled to enable TCP/IP.

S7-200 does not have Ethernet built in, but once you program it with a serial connection, you can configure the IP address. Once configured, you can program over the Ethernet connection.

The PC/PPI cable is in fact a simple data-driven RS232/RS485 converter. Any converter that doesn't need handshaking lines can do. I even tried it with an AIC+ from Allen-Bradley and that seems to work as well. I wouldn't recommend this interface, because it's about the same price (or even slightly more - at least over here) than the original Siemens cable, and you have to wire the RS485 side yourself.

Kind regards,