a robot pallet using a GPS

Siemener

Hi all,

I work for a company who's engaged in providing many sorts of engineering solutions, fortunately, I have been playing leading role when it comes to automation here.

Since we also provide conveying solutions, one of our customer has inquired for ROBOT PALLET, for thier cargo movement from warehouse, production, loading bay, and vice versa.

I have dropped down using dedicated tracks/rails, and after a lot of thinking, am seriously considering using a GPS, because of its good accuracy and cost effectiveness, and simplicity (based on as my current knowledge)

I'm interested in hearing from ppl who have had some experience, and of course your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

am seriously considering using a GPS, because of its good accuracy
Do you mean that an accuracy of about 3m is sufficient? If not, you seriously have to consider differential GPS, where you can adjust your position by comparing to the GPS information from a fixed GPS station.

Kind regards,

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing out something really important, I was not aware that the accuracy level being so bad. A few years ago I used a handheld gps on a fishing trip gave me about the same accuracy.
I was in belief that a superior model would give a higher level of accuracy.

Is this inaccuracy because of the factor, put there intentionally to avoid being the device used in any sort of terrorism? because I read somewhere on the net that this FACTOR was supposed to be removed from the commercial units available.

Considering my scenario, can you suggest a product that would be suitable?

When you refer to differential GPS, this would mean I would have to install a stationary tower (at my expense) somewhere in the vicinity? and all mobile units would refer to this stationary station?

Any things I should look into before deciding the equipment?

Kindest Regards,

An accuracy of about 3 meters is more than enough for a manned vehicle to find it's way. The so-called terrorism factor makes the accuracy even worse: if switched on the accuracy is 100m or more.

I don't know about your part of the world, but here in Europe there are public installations (e.g. some time transmitters such as DCF77) which transmit their GPS information on a regular basis, so this can be used as a basis for corrections.

Kind regards,

Dear Jean,

Thanks for your input. I'm on my way searching in that direction.

Just missed out to clear one important thing, the vehicle is MANNED. so there are basically a few more things I have to keep in mind, otherwise I would end up running it over the edge or perhaps hitting people. a Few sensors might be good to handle these.

There are a few companies offering fleet tracking systems, they some signal towers standing up in places, not sure if I can use thier beam for my own purpose.

Thanks,