I'm back! (but with a question)...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Howdy Folks,

Sorry I haven't had time to stop in here lately. I just noticed I have 3000+ 'unread' posts. I guess I should stop in more often... :oops:

I am making some replacement relay interface boards for an old machine, and I want to use the existing cables that are already installed in the machine. The cables plug into the relay boards via a 40-pin connector. They are the exact same connectors used on high-density I/O modules from Automation Direct, and I've seen the same on some Omron and GE PLCs as well. They are probably used on other brands as well. Here is a picture of the cable end connector...

ioconnector.jpg

Automation Direct sells the female connectors like the picture above (LINK), but I am trying to locate a source for the MALE counterpart to this connector. In other words, the one that would reside in the PLC's I/O module. The connector appears to be a Fujitsi FCN-360 series (PDF link). The problem is locating a source for them. Mouser Electronics sells them, but they are a non-stocked item, and I would have to order a minimum of 200 at $2.85 each. I only need THREE!... :(

Is Fujitsu is the only manufacturer of these? I dug through the Tyco website, but can't find anything similar. I plan on mounting them on standoffs, so I'd like the connectors to have solder lugs. Prewired on a cable like AD's D4-IOCBL-1 would work fine as well.

Anyone have a clue where I can get these???... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Try Digikey.com or AlliedElectronics.com ?

They are a little more expensive than Mouser, but I don't think you have to buy in bulk.

Just curious, have you compared these to IDE/ATA 40 pin connectors? The kind used on hard drives? Or D-sub 40 position (pin)?

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
Just curious, have you compared these to IDE/ATA 40 pin connectors? The kind used on hard drives? Or D-sub 40 position (pin)?

As a matter of fact, the connector spec indicates this is a 0.1-inch pitch product. That means a lot of possible options, even if the exact part is not available.

Omron normally can supply them as solder pin types or with leads/terminals. They are not really cheap though. I use the 40 pin Jujitsu ones all the time and make up my own flying leads.

Eric,
You have not specified the spacing? Is it 0.100" or 0.050" or perhaps some metric spacing? Also I can't see the bottom of the connector, does it have solder pins?
Anyways you are looking for a HEADER!
Go to http://www.newark.com and search for a header with your specific spacing, you can refine your search through filters, Newark has a superb search capability.
You can buy it directly from them they have online sales.

Thanks for the replies so far... (y)

I have already checked Allied and Newark. I buy from them all the time. I didn't think to look at Digi-Key though. I'll see what they have.

They are indeed 0.1" pitch. I tried plugging the female into a standard hard drive style header. It fits fine, but I don't know that the connection will be reliable. The male pins on the correct mating connector are not round (nor square). They are flattened, to mate with the female side. Here is a close-up of the male pins...

malepins.jpg

And yes, BobB... That is a picture of the connector on an Omron Pro15 console. My connector plugs right into that. Are you sure that Omron sells the MALE connectors? Do you have a part number?

The female side looks like this...

femalepin.jpg

Good idea about contacting Fujitsu, Keith. Their office happens to be right down the street from my house!... :cool:

I'm surprised that these aren't as readily available as I thought... :(

🍻

-Eric

Your only other hope is to find a repair shop that uses them, and see if you can buy a few. VFD repair houses come to mind. I have no idea if these guys have what you need. Just an example.