SCADA - Siemens on TCP/IP

orense

I am supposed to set up a SCADA application working towards 5 siemens plc,s on industrial ethernet.
I use CPU315-2 DP with CP343-1 cards.

The computer for the SCADA is running on windows XP. The SCADA application has it's own drivers for TCP/IP.

I am testing the network, so I just set up one CPU with CP card.

Just to get the link up and running, I connected the cable between the CP card and the Ethernet card in the PC.
Problem is that I can not get the connection up and running between them, before I even start the SCADA application.
Windows is just telling me that the network cable is unplugged.

The CPU is running fine with the CP card, but the Link light on the CP card is off.
It seems that they do not recognize eachother.

If I connect my laptop to the CP card, it says connected straight away.
If I connect the SCADA computer to the LAN in my office, it says connected straight away.

But not with eachother...

Do I need something else installed on the SCADA computer, or are they supposed to run together as long as it is TCP/IP?

Any hints will be highly appreciated....

regards

Andreas :)

This might be stating the obvious, and if it is please excuse me BUT:

You dont mention if you have a switch in the network, i dont think a cable connected directly to the PLC from a laptop\PC will work, it needs to be a crossover to do this or go through a switch which will sort this out

Tragically is correct. Your laptop may have an autosensing port as most modern switches do. Autosensing means that it can detect if it needs a "straight through" or "crossover" cable. A crossover cable has the send/recieve pins switched on one end and is usually orange.

Try plugging in a crossover cable or connecting both devices to an autosensing switch. On older switches/hubs you have 2 jacks on one port - the one labeled "uplink" is physically wired like a crossover cable.

Thanks...

I am using a switch but it appears that one of the cables I got is a crossover. The autosensing is probably why it was working with the laptop, but not with the other computer...

Changed the cable and mama mia it is working....

Thanks alot guys...