label for wiring

NFPA "Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery", ANNEX D, illustrates one common method. Each conductor is identified by a unique number, assigned in sequential order, or by using the drawing's line reference. When using the line reference system, each conductor on a particular line is identified, XXXXA, XXXXB, XXXXC, etc.

Standard in the electrical power category is 5 or 6 digits. For example:

Wire # PPPLLW

PPP= Page of the drawing
LL = Line of the drawing
W = wire #, counted from left to right

As for me, I make up my own method depending on the complexity of the job. If it has less than 50 wires, I start with Wire #1 and add 1 until finished.

Our standard is to make sure every wire has a unique label. Doesn't matter so much what the label is, just that it is accurate and unique.

Some folks put the equipment identifier on the wire, such as LT001 for a control loop or 19P002 for a motor on a punp in Unit 19.

A more generic way is to label the wire with its destination or point of termination, such as TB2/12 for the 12th terminal in TB2 block or terminals.
I find the 'destination' one a bit confusing to be honest and prefer the point of termination way. That way you can reference it to a drawing.