RSView32 with RSLinx on a WinXP embedded

Bandit7311

Does anybody have experience to install RSView32 in combination with RSLinx on a Windows XP embedded OS ?

It will communicate to a Compact Logix L32E CPU

Any help or answers would be appreciated

Last edited:
Yes, I have installed RSView32 and RSLinx on a computer that was running Windows XP. What answers do you need?

OP is referring to XP Embedded - a componentized version of XP Pro. It's slick, you can add and remove packages and is much cheaper for distribution. It usually makes more sense for an OEM or application where you put more design time into it, then use that build in many places.

I can't think of a single reason that you'd have a problem with XP Embedded if XP Pro works fine - as long as you don't omit necessary packages. It would be an ideal way to "appliance-ize" your HMI terminal. On a production/controls machine, there's no reason to run many of the services that Windows installs by default.

Then again I've never used View on XP Embedded. Your best bet would be to ask your local Rockwell rep.

Lancie1 said:
Yes, I have installed RSView32 and RSLinx on a computer that was running Windows XP. What answers do you need?

Last edited:
Thank for your answers.

But in this case I have already talked to our Rockwell support here in Germany and the only answer is, that Windows XP embedded is not supported in combination with RSView.

So I really don´t know if I should go this way. The only thing the customer support representative told me is, that he knows about other customers who were using Windows XP embedded with RSView.

I am thinking about using XP embedded because I want no Harddisk in the HMI Panel PC instead of this I want a compact flash card.

While using a compact flash card, the normal Windows XP would damage the flash card in short of the time because it stores different files again and again and those memory cards are not suited to do so.

That's a cheap copout! The website listed XP or 2000 as system requirements. I have a very high confidence that XP embedded with the proper modules will work perfectly - exactly like it would under XP. I also wouldn't trust a speculative post like this one. Hopefully someone here has done it already. Or, try it out on a test machine.

Bandit7311 said:
Thank for your answers.

But in this case I have already talked to our Rockwell support here in Germany and the only answer is, that Windows XP embedded is not supported in combination with RSView.

So I really don´t know if I should go this way. The only thing the customer support representative told me is, that he knows about other customers who were using Windows XP embedded with RSView.

I am thinking about using XP embedded because I want no Harddisk in the HMI Panel PC instead of this I want a compact flash card.

While using a compact flash card, the normal Windows XP would damage the flash card in short of the time because it stores different files again and again and those memory cards are not suited to do so.

I've never played with Embedded XP, so I don't know what it's capabilities are, but I know it's designed primarily to be a platform for Consumer-type Kiosks, and highly secure applications. That may limit it's use for automation.

If it's only the destructive writes of flash drives you are concerned about, look at http://www.stec-inc.com/interface/ide.php
for true solid-state drives.

I really dont want to start a discussion if XP embedded fits into automation. There are different versions of Windows embedded.

And i have seen many solutions in automation which were done with Windows XP embedded.

I have planned to build an industrial computer based on ITX board with passiv cooling. 1,2Ghz 1GB Ram. And with XP embedded and a small RSView application it should be good to go.

Windows Embedded is a family of operating system software from Microsoft for use in non-personal computer devices such as cash registers, automated teller machines (ATMs), industrial controllers, gateways, Internet Protocol (IP) telephones, server appliances, Windows-based thin clients, advanced consumer electronics, and specialized handheld devices.

Embedded operating systems are usually highly customized for a specific task or function. They may be optimized for specialized hardware or a specific application. Since the configuration is "locked down" and can be rigorously tested, manufacturers of these systems can control costs and deliver highly reliable devices optimized for specialized tasks.

Microsoft does not license the embedded operating systems for use on a general-purpose personal computer. Windows XP Embedded is intended for use by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to create customized operating systems for specialized embedded systems.

Summary: RSLinx and WinLinx are NOT supported on embedded operating systems. There are no plans to provide this support.

RSLinx Enterprise is supported on Windows CE when used with RSView Machine Edition. Refer to RSView Machine Edition help files and other documentation for details.
Catalog Number:
DocFullNum: G51755950

Agreed. I'm positive that a correctly set up XP embedded installation would be much more ideal than using XP Pro. It can have everything good, minus the services, memory hogs, and security holes that you don't need. It does take a programmer/knowledgable/technical person to do this, which is why I was hesitant to say, "Sure, it's easy, just buy XP embedded and all your problems will be solved".

But there's no question as to whether it can be made to work for automation applications in cases where XP pro does.

Bandit7311 said:
I really dont want to start a discussion if XP embedded fits into automation. There are different versions of Windows embedded.

And i have seen many solutions in automation which were done with Windows XP embedded.

I have planned to build an industrial computer based on ITX board with passiv cooling. 1,2Ghz 1GB Ram. And with XP embedded and a small RSView application it should be good to go.