what does the Pico support?

tomfarvour

What does the Pico support?

Allen-Bradley's website says it supports Simple math, but I can't find anything math related. How do you do Math with the Pico?

I.e.: (Add 4.52 + 5.0) if GTE I7 > 5.00

Also, does the pico have memory? i.e.: can I make up my own places to store information like with a MicroLogix??

-Tom

The pico controller does not support any type of data storage I believe the only math it does is counts mostly. The pico is mainly only used for XIO, XIC and OTE bits. I look at it as a programmable relay for lack of a better term. I hope this helps reference www.ab.com and get literature number 1760-um001

So really I should just go with the MicroLogix series to acheive what I need to be able to do? We're deciding on the MicroLogix 1100 since it has all the I/O we need right on the brick.

The MicroLogix isn't that much more expensive than the Pico.....

-Tom

tomfarvour said:
The MicroLogix isn't that much more expensive than the Pico.....

-Tom

it is significantly more powerful, though.

the Pico will do simple logic and timers, but little else. Smart relay describes it very well. Since there isn't much price difference, I'd say go with the Micro... it'll do much more than the Pico.

The newer Pico GFX Controller does have add, subtract, multiply, and divide functions. From PicoSoft Help:

Pico controllers are electronic control relays with logic functions, timer, counter and time switch functions. They also function as an input device. With Pico controllers you can create solutions for domestic applications as well as for tasks in machine and plant construction. The Pico GFX controller series is now being added to the Pico Controller series.

Unlike a Pico Controller, a Pico GFX Controller offers additional arithmetic functions and an integrated access to the Pico-Link network. This network allows up to eight Pico GFX controllers to be linked together into a control system. As every NET station can process a circuit diagram, Pico GFX controllers enable the implementation of high-speed control systems with distributed intelligence. It also offers you the ability to display the controlled process via a fully graphical display and make process interventions with value entries. A further description of the device is provided under General Information on the Pico GFX Controller.

Pico and Pico GFX controllers enable you to:

Wire up make and break contacts in series and in parallel,

Switch output relays and auxiliary relays,

Define outputs as coils, impulse relays, with rising or falling edge detection, or as relays with a self-latching function,

Select timing relays with different functions (on-delayed, on-delayed with random switching, off-delayed, off-delayed with random switching, on/off-delayed, on/off-delayed with random switching, single pulse, synchronous flashing, asynchronous flashing),

Use up and down counters,

Count high-speed signals,

Compare values,

Display texts with variables,

Process analog values (DC devices),

Use 7-day and year time switches,

Count operating hours (operating hours counters),
Communicate via the integrated NET network,

Carry out arithmetic functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division,

Trace the power flow in the circuit diagram,

Load, save, and password protect a circuit diagram.

Last edited:
tomfarvour said:
I.e.: (Add 4.52 + 5.0) if GTE I7 > 5.00

To do floating point math you will have to use a ML1100 or a ML1200 series C.

The ML100 and ML1200 Series A or B cannot do floating point math.

What's the list price on a Pico and does it come with programming software? Does it require an expensive AB cable?

surferb said:
What's the list price on a Pico and does it come with programming software? Does it require an expensive AB cable?

A small sample, there are other options:

PICO.jpg

PicoGFX70.jpg

That's awesome for home automation type stuff! Seems hard to justify against a micro for real (non-OEM) projects with labor costs.

That's quite a screenshot. I'll quote it for posterity.

Mickey said:
A small sample, there are other options:

PICO.jpg

PicoGFX70.jpg

surferb said:

The 10 point Micrologix sells for 99 dollars and RSLogix500 lite, which programs only the 10 point micrologix is free. It's a better deal than the PICO - it can handle more instructions and can do more math (but not the floating point the OP needed.)

The PICO has the advantage that you can program it using its onboard buttons and LCD interface (its a PITA though). A couple of guys in our maintenace dept bought one for a project and wished they had gotten a micrologix before they were done.

If 10 point will do it for you that's certainly a better deal. I'd take a more complete instruction set and savings over onboard buttons any day!

unless you are just tied to AB, Idec and Crouzet both have some nice programmable relays that do some simple math and comparisons. The Idec I know for sure comes with 2 0-10 analog inputs. It is also expandable with more digital and analog I/O capable. The starter kit come with a 24vdc relay, cable, and sofware for about $300. The 24vdc relay is about $125 after that. Or you can do an Automation Direct DL05 for $99 and software I beleive is about $150. You can make your own cable with a 9pin Dshell and a 4 conductor phone cable.

FWIW, the AB PICO is a Klockner-Moeller smart relay with a blue octagon stamped on it - also availalbe with analog. You can download free software for it from AB or K-M, but you have to buy a cable.