EtherNet/IP Explicit Message Server Help

PLC Newbie84

Hi everyone, I am completely new to the world of PLCs and I would appreciate any advice someone out there may have for me. I've been tasked with writing a server application (running on a Windows XP PC) that needs to support explicit EIP/CIP messaging from an Allen-Bradley PLC (ControlLogix 5562 with a 1756-ENBT/A EtherNet module). Unfortunately I'm restricted to using C#. Does anyone know of any good 3rd party libraries available that will work with .NET/C# for windows? I would also appreciate any other additional information you may have to offer.

Thanks and best regards,
Greg

I have seen a few vendors with cheap .NET libraries for Logix PLCs (and other families). Your other approach would be to get an OPC server and find a sample OPC app. If you join the OPC foundation they have sample code, and other vendors supply it for free. I'll dig up those URLs for you if you're interested.

edit - Totally missed Marks post. I've seen other companies, but that was one of the better ones when I was looking.
product LINK

PLC Newbie84 said:
Hi everyone, I am completely new to the world of PLCs and I would appreciate any advice someone out there may have for me. I've been tasked with writing a server application (running on a Windows XP PC) that needs to support explicit EIP/CIP messaging from an Allen-Bradley PLC (ControlLogix 5562 with a 1756-ENBT/A EtherNet module). Unfortunately I'm restricted to using C#. Does anyone know of any good 3rd party libraries available that will work with .NET/C# for windows? I would also appreciate any other additional information you may have to offer.

Thanks and best regards,
Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and for the information. Unfortunately I can't use OPC in this application, (I neglectfully omitted that important item in my original post!). I've been informed by a colleague that the message formatting for OPC is different than it is for EIP, and ultimately I'll be "talking" to a PC-104 that's running its own OS, and therefore won't be able to consume OPC packets.

I'd really appreciate it if you've got a list of vendors with .NET libraries available. So far, from looking on google, I've found automated solutions and pyramid solutions, but I would appreciate any other companies.

Thanks again for your help!

I looked into the same thing awhile back. I was open for any .NET drivers for any AB PLCs(not just Logix) or OPC servers that provided source and a distributable license. I found a few more - just Googling, but I wouldn't be surprised if you've hit the major ones. There are also open source C++ projects, but I'm sure that's not what you're looking for.

Software Toolbox are good people. They resell, support and market other little programs and utilities. Their version would be Ingear.NET.Logix for $299. I've never used it, but it's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure all of your options will have some form of free trial.