GE VersaPro license

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an old IBM laptop that runs Win98 that has my plc software on it. I recently started VersaPro, which I have had a licensed version of for 4 years, and it told me my trial license had expired.

Anyone know what would cause this?

You didn't by any chance defrag the hard drive did you? I've heard rumors that the license is supposed to be located at a fixed sector of you hard drive and that if it gets moved during a defrag, VersaPro's license manager can't locate it and reports that you're unlicensed.

At any rate, if you call GE Fanuc licensing, they should be able to get your license restored for you. Call 1-800-GE FANUC.

Haven't done anything to it, do not use it much these days and it sits idle most days. I tried starting it to check out an old 311 I have.

I will give GE a call in the morning.

Ah. Did the date reset, by chance?

The licensing looks at the date, if your PC date is BEFORE the license datestamp it might show as invalid licensing. It's a leftover from running it on a trial basis.

The issue is it is a licensed version.I said 4 years but got it in 2001 or early 02, now it says "Trial has expired".

When you install VersaPro without a license you start a four-day trial period. During that trial period, the software is fully functional with no limitations on program size or communications capability. After the four-day period, you can no longer create new project files or modify existing ones unless you get a license.

When you start VersaPro after the trail period has expired, you get the message that Ron saw. If you have a licensed version, you never get that message. It sounds like the software's license manager can't find the license for some reason. If the license hasn't been moved to a different sector of the hard drive during a defrag operation, then the sector where the license is located may be corrupted. Either that or someone has transferrede the license to a different computer without Ron's knowledge.

Ron, if you still have the VersaPro CD, you can uninstall the software and then reinstall. That will restart the four-day clock. You will not lose any of your project files due to the uninstall.

I kind of knew that, went thru it before, but have not had a chance to mess with it yet. When I get the chance I will call GE and get it setup again. I am thinking about putting the whole drive (6GB) on a DVD and transfer it to a larger drive. Its an old laptop but still works great for my needs.