Communication between Beckhoff CX1020 and Simatic Step 7

Bakkei

I need to set up ethernet communication between a Beckhoff CX1020 and a Simatic PLC (Most likely a 315-2DP). Is there anyone with experience in this field?

That's exactly what I was thinking about. This would be the easiest solution and probably the one I will go for. Quick, easy and stable.

This is the problem:

The Beckhoff has no profibus but ethernet comes standard.
The Simatic has no ethernet but profibus comes standard.
So I have to decide which port to add to which PLC.

I'm still thinking about using a TCP connection over Ethernet. I think this would be a bit more flexible. But I need to be sure this won't be a big hassle to implement.

Jesper, do you mean some kind of Profibus DP over Ethernet or what ?

OK. Just joking :)

Dear Bakkei, Ethernet is a magic word. It means nothing and everything. Be more specific and write what you want to achieve first.

Add a Profibus port to the Beckhoff PLC. It is quite cheap by the way.

There is no Profinet module with Beckhof, so you cannot go that way.
The ethernet ports on S7 and Beckhoff are not so easy to get to talk to each other, but there are some possibilities (Modbus TCP for example). But I dont recommend you to go that way. It will be more expensive, less supported, and I dont see any obvious advantages compared against Profibus.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm sure I've made the right choice by going for profibus-DP. Peace of mind can't be underestimated in the wicked world of PLC-communication