Idec Plc

I am new to PLC. I want to buy a PLC. I am suggested to buy a FC5A or FC4A PLC for my requirement of about 10 inputs and 6 outputs. I also want to use 2 analog input and 2 analog outputs.

Please tell me deficiencies of IDEC as compared with any other brand.

Jayesh Shah / Surat / India

jayesh_vardhman said:
Please tell me deficiencies of IDEC as compared with any other brand.

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of PLCs, the IDEC is good PLC from what I have read, the only thing that you need to consider (as with any other automation equipment) is support, how well is the equipment supported in your area?, can you get replacement parts fast?

Other then that and the learning curve.... a PLC is, a PLC, is a PLC

I have used Idec for several years for the smaller projects and have never had a problem. Support is great except that they are on Pacific time. The software now has a simulation setting so you can check your code and see if it works. Great for new folks.

Welcome and good luck

IDEC is my PLC of choice for projects in the size range you describe. I find the support to be more than adequate (especially when you include the resources of this forum), and replacement parts are readily available.

The Microsmart (FC4) all-in-one has an expansion port on the side and the expansion cards just clip on the din rail, slide over, and plug into the port, very convenient. ANALOG I/O cards are among the available expansion modules. Once you learn how to set them up, the ANALOG cards seem to work as expected.

If you have programming difficulties, post them on this forum and I (as well as others) will be glad to help.

Stationmaster

Last edited:
Idec FC4A is a good solid PLC that was developed in conjunction with Telemecanique(some of the parts are even interchangeable). For the money it is a good solid PLC, and I have done some large I/O(140-180) projects with the FC4A.

Haven't tried the FC5A yet but if it as good as the FC4A it should be worth the money.

WindLDR software is easy to grasp and information on the Idec website is good and simple to access.

Jon.

Jon R said:
Idec FC4A is a good solid PLC that was developed in conjunction with Telemecanique(some of the parts are even interchangeable). For the money it is a good solid PLC, and I have done some large I/O(140-180) projects with the FC4A.

Haven't tried the FC5A yet but if it as good as the FC4A it should be worth the money.

WindLDR software is easy to grasp and information on the Idec website is good and simple to access.

Jon.
Please sample example of set and reset circuit. My email address is [email protected]. Please let me know yours.

Thanks.

Jayesh