Looking for compat DIN rail mountable weigh bridge converter

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I have an application at the moment where I use HBM CLIP AE101 load cell converters to generate a 0-10V signal per cell.
Trouble is that the converters use relatively much space in a place where the panel is really really cramped. The converter is a package that lies flat against the back of the panel (see picture).
4_21_clip[1].gif

I am looking for something that is narrower and deeper so that I free up as much of the valuable panel space as possible.
The load cells are standard resistive full bridges.

This may be one option you can look at:
http://www.actionio.com/products/actioniq/ac/q446.html

The ActionI/Q Q446 is a DIN rail mount, bridge or strain-gage input signal conditioner with 1800VDC isolation between input, output and power. The field configurable input and output offers flexible, wide ranging capability for bridge or strain-gage input applications from 0.5mV/V to over 50mV/V.

Low-cost microprocessor technology has enabled replacement of zero and span adjustment potentiometers with push-button, “TouchCALTM” technology. In essence, the thermal drift and mechanical variability of the potentiometers have been removed and replaced with a digitally stable circuit. Additionally, the inherent zero and span interactivity of potentiometer based analog amplifier circuitry is removed, providing 100% non-interactive adjustment.

The field configurable input of the Q446 can be set via DIP switches for any one of 11 voltage ranges from 10mV to ±200mV (see Table 1). The field configurable output is linear to the input and can be set for either 0-5V, 0-10V, 0-1mA or 4-20mA, direct or reverse acting.

Then back out and look at the rest of what ActionIO has to offer.

I've used their G448 series several times with great success. I know they use 24VDC, because I have to add a 24VDC PS whenever I use them... (Somebody in our company decided long ago that 120VAC was our "standard" for IO... I'm working on changing that)

Before you decide, ask two questions.
1 Is this a Legal For Trade application?
2 Will a Scale company be expected to re-calibrate these scales?

Question # 2 will be a problem if you go with a unit that has the scaling in the PLC. Not too many scale companies are willing to go online with a PLC

When Question #2 becomes an issue I always use a panel mount indicator with RIO or D-NET or Profibus, Such as Hardy Instruments or Mettler Toledo Panthers.

Ian

nonuke, despite danish (must be good then !) I dont like 11-pole socket technology any more. They are also not that compact.

curlyandshemp said:
1 Is this a Legal For Trade application?
2 Will a Scale company be expected to re-calibrate these scales?
No and no.

Alaric, everything from Beckhoff looks very interesting, but I am just after a plain DIN-rail mountable signgle channel load cell amplifier.

CharlesM, I cannot locate a local supplier for JH Technology. Could be OK though.

rsdoran, that one looks good.

I went to HBMs website, and found that the CLIP module has disappeared and there is now a narrow DIN rail mountable converter http://www.hbm.com/products/SEURLF/ASP/SFS/SUBCAT.23/CATEGORY.4/PRODID.111/MM.3,24,54/SFE/ProductDataSheet.htm
almost same as Eurotherm/actionio's http://www.actionio.com/products/slimpak2/wv448.html
as well as the Phoenix Contact one.

So it will be one of these three.

Thanks all :)