cp

sourena

hi , i'm working with s7-300 cpu s:313c-2dp 317-2dp and 315-2dp
there is a cp connected to one of them and a cable that is one side is RS232 to connect to pc plus one way to some thing like a modem with telephone socket . the other side is connected to the input cable to the cpu...
there is one port free on cpu ... what is that ?
what is this modem and what it is doing?
can i remove this cp to use it for another plc ?

Hello sourena;

there is a cp connected to one of them and a cable that is one side is RS232 to connect to pc plus one way to some thing like a modem with telephone socket . the other side is connected to the input cable to the cpu...
What is your question?
At least please identify the CP module, either with the part number (something like 6ES7-xxx-xxxx-xxxx or 6GK7-xxx-xxxx-xxxx) printed on the module front, or by opening the Hardware Configuration editor in step 7 and writing down the available info (a screen shot would be even better).
there is one port free on cpu ... what is that ?
All the CPUs you identify are Profibus-DP models. On the side of both ports there is a small marking, either MPI or DP, so if the port marked DP is free, it is for a Profibus-DP connection.
what is this modem and what it is doing?
Oh, so that was your original question... Can't answer that until we have more info. By the way, CP is a Siemens abbreviation for "Communication Processor", either a Profibus,Industrial Ethernet, As-i or serial module; which is why i asked you to identify the "cp" you are asking about. I have the feeling you are using the term "cp" in another sense. Care to clear this up?
can i remove this cp to use it for another plc ?
Maybe, we'll see when we have more details. By the way, do you mean on another CPU that you pointed out earler, or on a PLC completely outside your post?
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

hi there...
the part nomber is 6es7972-0cb20-0xa0 and there is some thing like a modem as well as this cp...
any thing else ? oh one thing else ...can i install simatic s7 on vista windows ?

Hello sourena;

Here is a description of your part number from Siemens' A&D Mall website (a good place to look for any hardware info, use the Search for part number or description):
https://mall.automation.siemens.com/WW/guest/index.asp?aktPrim=0&lang=en

SIMATIC S7, PC ADAPTER USB F. CONNECTION OF S7-200/300/400 C7; WITH USB-CABLE (5M) CAN BE USED UNDER WIN 2000/XP
So this is a PC Adapter, a RS-232 to MPI converter, used mainly for programming and monitoring of the S7-300 and S7-400 PLCs, through Step 7 software, from the PC COMx port. And yes, it can be used on all MPI ports, to program individual PLCs. Alternatively, if the MPI ports of the CPUs are networked, it can be used to program/monitor any of the PLCs, one at a time.

Notice the "Can be used with" part of the earlier description. No mention of Vista. When you are more familiar with Siemens' world, you will uinderstand that whatever is not explicitely permitted is prohibited (or at least very difficult) for those who use their product. You can dowload the following compatibility matrix for Windows OS and Siemns products; no mention of Vista there weither. This means, no, you cannot install the latest Step 7 (v. 5.4) on Vista. Not yet.

http://cache.automation.siemens.com/dnl/TgzMTc1AAAA_18734363_FAQ/STEP7_Compatibility_en.pdf

By the way, here is another link, to Siemens' support webpage. You will find it useful, for manuals, FAQs, support downloads, if you want to get familiar with siemens PLCs:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&changelang=true&aktprim=0&siteid=cseus&lang=en
The best way to navigate through the site is to use the Search feature intelligently. For the compatability matrix, I entered "Step 7 Windows" in the Search box. Try it, see what hits you get.

One final suggestion, as you seem to be a novice on Siemens PLCs (no offense intended). Try the following tutorial webpage, it should give you a good head start:

http://www.automation.siemens.com/fea/html_76/down_module.htm
Hope this helps,

Daniel Chartier

Thank you so much you are my favorite guy...
and one question more ...
if there is a net work how can i select each plc in net work ?
and if i remove the pc adaptor i have to disconnect it from the MPI to connect to another MPI... no problem?
be side not all of them are connected to the modem.

Hello sourena;

What is your situation exactly? You seem to need to go online with one ore more Siemens CPUs, but you ask very, very basic questions that indivcate you are totally unfamiliar with the process. Is this a student application/lab, or maintenance, or something else? I wouldn't want to be in a position where you try to interface with a working PLC in a plant and modify (screw up) the running program that controls a machine...
First, for the MPI networking, I suggest you go to the tutorial site that I suggested earlier and upload the manual for Appendix 4; there is a good explanation of the basics of MPI networking that should clear up many unknowns. Then Section Atutorials would show you how to use Step 7 to program and download to a PLC.
The simplest way to interface to a S7 PLC is to connect the MPI side of the PC Adapter directly to the MPi port of one CPU, and use Step 7 functions to dowload, upload and monitor a program. When you need to program the next CPU, connect the PC Adapter to its MPI port; each CPU can have similaar MPI addresses, as long as they are nt networked it doesn't matter. If you have an existing, up to date program for each CPU , then everything should be straightforward.
If you want to network the 3 PLCs over MPI and you want to have a choice of CPU to program over the network, then all 3 programs must be included in a single project, and they must recieve a valid, unique MPI address each on the project. Again, the tutorial site should give you good indications on that.
Basically, until you tell us what exactly you want to do, my best suggestion is to RTFM; this is the right time for that.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Hi mate !
sorry i made one missunderstanding here
here is the story ...
cpu 313 c-2dp
cpu 315 -2dp
cpu 317-2dp
The dp port is been used for profibus for some speed drivers.
there is a TS adaptor 6es7972-0ca34-0xa0 which is connected to the
dp port on prfibus cable (MPI port is free).
the other side is a 2 way RS232 cable connected to a modem but we dont have modem and pc adaptor in all plcs.
All i want to do is to connect to the plc and get a back up of all programs.
the problem is we dont have pc adaptor and i know that we can use this TS adaptor(using modem?) as a pc adaptor, and i want to know can i use this TS for another plcs or i have to buy?
if yes tell me the steps to connect and upload.
be side i 've got the tutorial link and i'm reading that.

Hello sourena;
A TS adapter is basically used to connect to the PLC's MPI port through a modem, to program them over a telephone line, for remote applications. There is a software required for this, called Teleservice, that must be installed in the programming PC, where Step 7 resides.
Now, if you have the Teleservice bundle installed, you can force the TS Adapter to act as a PC adapter, for a direct connection to the PLC without a modem. See the link I gave on the following post:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=33634&highlight=adapter

Also, if the TS adapter's MPI side is connected piggy-back on the Profibus-DP network, the it was probably used to program any of the 3 PLCs that can be accessed over that network (search for the expression "routing" on Siemens support website. It refers to the possibility of using S7-functions (programming/monitoring) over other networks, such as profibus and Industrial Ethernet). So the original project must have had all 3 CPUs included iinside.
If you do not have tyhis project, then the best you can do is connect the TS adapter to each PLC MPI port, and upload the program from each one on a separate project (if not, MPI addresses might be the same, which will cause problems).
Note that an upload without an original program will not give you the symbols and documentation of the project, just the absolute address of every rung. Very difficult to follow.
There is one possibility. The CPUs you have seem to be recent, at least the 313C-2DP and the 317-2DP, so they must have a MMC card slotted on the CPU. If the MMC is large enough (in memory size) and if the original programmer has been thoughtful enough to do it, he may have saved a complete project, as an archive, on the MMC. This can be retrieved while online, can be opened by Step 7 and will give you all the required info.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Back
Top Bottom