Comparison of PLCS

vkelkar

I am fairly new to this forum and would be thankful to get some information on following.
I am trying to find a comparison chart for different brands of PLCs , I know it might be difficult but has anybody know any website where you choose differnt brands and their models and then compare them for functionality,price ...and so forth
any help is appreciated. This like you go on circuit city web site and select different models of TVs and it comes up with comparison chart
Hope this helps
Thanks in advance
V.P.Kelkar

Hi V.P. (wow doesn't that make you sound grand for your first post ;) )

I think the best you'll find here is under the 'PLC Reviews' link in the bar at the top of this thread. Users with many years experience have written their reviews and voted accordingly. Prices? Well, on an international site you'll find that one man's $100 is another man's £50 when it comes to exchange rates but the equivalent PLC will still be more expensive whichever country you're in at the time!

Ken

I noted that the Siemens S7-400 range had a low rating, so I had a look at who voted so low for what I believe to be the best on the market at the moment (I know, I know a personal thing).

I saw two ratings, the first excellent and the second one star each and random letter keystrokes for the review.

hmmm.. someone needs to delete nuisance reviews o_O

A book I discovered at a trade show yesterday provides numerous examples showing differences between the mid to higher end PLCs:

Modicon Quantum/Momentum
A-B ControlLogix
A-B PLC-5/SLC-500
Siemens S7 300/400, some 200
Ge Fanuc

Not cheap at $75 USD, but thick (1450 pages) lots of examples.

"Programmable Logic Controllers: An Emphasis on Design and Application" by Kelvin T. Erickson.

Well, I know this topic has been beaten to death but to anyone who wish to venture into PLC land it's important to keep a few thing in mind:

- post install support.

- post install support.

- post install support.

hint: AB is big in NA, Siemens in Europe. Unless you are talking about OEM product that will never require program change in the field, in that case, look at some of the smaller players.

Each company got good website to compare models.

Danw,
Thanks for reply ,can you please let me know the details on the books like name of the book and where to get it. Next week I am going to ISA show in Houston and your information might help me to find the book or something similar