1769-IF4 & BNC Connector

mattrobbins

If I have an analog output coming from a meter via a BNC connector, do I use the shield as the common? The signal will be a +/- 3VDC. I would assume that I should not ground the shield in this instance. Is this correct?

Well BNC connector only has 2 connections shield and pin... so yep yer stuck using the shield as minus signal... and a 3 volt signal will go straight to ground so no grounding the shield.....too bad it isnt a tnc connector.

You should not ground the shield, if it is at a different potential from the equipment ground it is attached too.

Generally, the shield there, is refernced to chassis ground (except in at least one notable exception, ControlNet). Is the female BNC on the connected equipment isolated from it's mounting panel?