OT: Praw-fee-bus or Proe-fee-bus?

Alaric said:
Process Field Buss

Cow-orker says I pronounce it wrong.

Process, o as aw,
or Process, o as a long o?

Always heard it pronounced PRO ( as in overpaid, spoiled grown men, baseball,football,hockey players) FEE ( as in fee fi fo fum ) BUS ( as in what time is the next bus?)

curlyandshemp said:
Always heard it pronounced PRO ( as in overpaid, spoiled grown men, baseball,football,hockey players) FEE ( as in fee fi fo fum ) BUS ( as in what time is the next bus?)

Yeah, but we're Canadian eh! so we pronounce just aboot everthing a little different!

I say its prOOOOcess not prAAAcess.

I've lived on both sides of the border and never heard of a prawfibus. I think your co worker might be pulling your leg.

I'm still confused by my own last name ...

there's a city called Beaufort here in South Carolina ... the BEAU part is pronouned as in "BEAU-tiful" ... and that's the way Daddy taught me to say our family name ...

but when I take my little wife back to visit her home state of North Carolina, it gets pronounced as "BO fort" with a long "O" sound ... and yes, they have a city named Beaufort up there in NC too ...

I know that we have trouble sometimes with renting a truck ... down here U-Haul is pronounced "Yall-Haul" ... I hear that up around New Jersey they say "Youse-Haul" ...

Last edited:
Ron Beaufort said:
but when I take my little wife back to visit her home state of North Carolina, it gets pronounced as "BO fort" with a long "O" sound ... and yes, they have a city named Beaufort up there in NC too ...

Well, Ron, I am sure you may have heard about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Beaufort Any relation of yours? :)

Which, considering his French background, does not leave much room for variants other than "BO". Possibly with silent "t" at the end as well. And yes, it means "a beautiful fort"

One client calls his XP server, "process server" to distinguish it from the IT boxes on the network, and pronounces it Proh - cess server, with a long o. Although he's a native midwestern American, I thought it was maybe an overseas pronunciation, Australian or English, maybe. But now I wonder if it isn't Canadian.

Since Profibus is constructed from Process Field Bus, its pronumciation should derive from how one pronounces Process.

Dan

the family legend has it that my family name was originally Buford - which is very common around the Savannah, GA area where my father came from ... the story goes that two Buford brothers got into an argument - and one changed the spelling to Beaufort ...

I have an aunt (by marriage) who decided several years ago to trace the Beaufort family tree ... she stopped after just a few months ... she never would say why she dropped the project - but I've got a feeling she didn't like some of the information she was digging up ...

I've never been at all impressed with where people came from - or who their ancestors were ... you are who you are - for better or for worse ...

somewhat along the same lines ... I was standing with my wife a few years ago in the churchyard where her grandfather and grandmother are buried ... I asked her why the family name on the gravestone was "Daniel" - without an "S" on the end ... my wife's family always spells it "Daniels" - with the "S" ... she had been visiting that same gravesite since she was about 6 years old - and NEVER noticed the difference in spelling on the headstone ... it seems her father and his brothers and sisters decided that Daniels was more common - and their generation just started spelling the family name with an "S" ...

like I said, you are who you are ... the family name doesn't make much difference as far as I'm concerned ...

Ron Beaufort said:
the family legend has it that my family name was originally Buford -

...you are who you are ... the family name doesn't make much difference...

Well, Ron, as you know my last name is Connolly. Don't even get me started on the spelling variants of that name, or the pronunciation variants of each of the spelling variants. I agree, you are who you are, especially important to remember in my case as I happened to have an ancestor by the name of Robert E Lee and another by the name of Ulysses S. Grant, so if I made that part of my identity I would be schizophrenic… and me too.:unsure: