SLC-5/0X checksums

pw3

We're presently running several SLC500 5/04's and 5/05's. We would like to be able to monitor the program's checksum value, as was available in a register in the PLC-5 processors, to alert us if the program has been changed and when through our Plant Information system.

I have not been able to locate a specific register in the 5/0X series processors to do this--has anyone else run into this issue and is there a work-around to obtain the checksum directly from the processor?

Good question, as I had the same. I see there is a "Read Program Checksum", but that would require adding this to every program I have?!?! I was hoping that I could tag a SCADA to a DT bit in the status area like the PLC5's have so that I could tell when this has changed? Any additional thoughts or ideas?

Is there a similar flag in the RS5k's?

RPC for the SLC 5/0X--yes I ran across this at some point after my post (above) but appreciate your mentioning it.

It would appear, prior to adding ladder to ALL of your programs with this instruction, that most of the older processors would require some sort of firmware upgrade. I think this is a "rip" and AB should be ashamed of themselves for having the gall to charge, especially for the 5/05's which is done via ControlFlash.

The 5/04's would require the use of a chip to do the upgrade, but in either case the upgrade is not free as it is for the CLogix and other newer platforms.

As far as checksums in the CLogix/RSL5000 platform, I have seen no such functionality nor any technotes on the subject. If it exists they're keeping it to themselves.

In looking in v15 at least, I can see a "Last Edited" field on the processor, which means it must have some idea stored when the last time a change was made. I can't find anything else on this at the present.

Does anyone know if this field is available to be read via an OPC or SCADA driver? (or some other last modified or checksum?)