Weird Problem with RSView32

Erik vdH

Hi All,

Have just come across a very stange problem in RSview32.

The sympotom is basically getting the wrong tag value from one of my 5/04 through an OPC server. I have checked that value in RSLink data browser and it is correct (correct to PLC), but once I create an RSView32 tag and monitor it's value, it does match (it's 0 instead of 1).

I made a blank RSView32 project with the same comms and here it works OK. But in my existing RSView32 app I just can't get it to work.

The actual problem I started with was really also really strange with animation expressions on one display object effecting animation objects and values on other objects. When I run the display, the data changes. I'm really confused. I've done quite a lot of RSView program and have covered most of the 'simple' things. Help!

Erik,

I don't have it on this PC.. but what is the value on your 'tag monitor'? is it the wrong one as well?

Do you have more applications running on that PC? like another RSView app, I know they don't play nice together

Like I said I don't have it on this PC so I may not be much help.

Erik vdH said:
Hi All,

Have just come across a very stange problem in RSview32.

The sympotom is basically getting the wrong tag value from one of my 5/04 through an OPC server. I have checked that value in RSLink data browser and it is correct (correct to PLC), but once I create an RSView32 tag and monitor it's value, it does match (it's 0 instead of 1).

I made a blank RSView32 project with the same comms and here it works OK. But in my existing RSView32 app I just can't get it to work.

The actual problem I started with was really also really strange with animation expressions on one display object effecting animation objects and values on other objects. When I run the display, the data changes. I'm really confused. I've done quite a lot of RSView program and have covered most of the 'simple' things. Help!

also if you reply inside the original quote...the posting software wont enter the post reply because it doesnt see text after the quote...so heres some text... Oh No, I didnt want to put it here...but the program made me...Damn Microsoft to Heck...heh

I also notice if you reply within the quote the bioard therows it away...sigh

How many PLC's / data sources are you using?? sounds like more than one

Make sure the objects you create in RSView can accept the data from the plc in the format supplied.

If the blank project works on the test bench with 1 plc the other project in your network is probably being written to by another plc or a cranky expression modifying an addresses data in the PLC

And since you originally had trouble with an expression....might want to look there first..... copied and pasted expressions can be quite unhappy at times.

Last edited:
I just did a project with RSView32 and had the same or similar problem. After scratching my head for a while, I found that I forget to change the address of a couple tags that I duplicated.

thanks averytc.

Do you mean you created the two or more tags in the tag database with the same PLC address? Did you find that the duplicate tag addresses were the actual tags causing you the problems?

Erik,

Yes, I duplicated a tag - FlowA(F18:0). The new tag (FlowB) was to be F18:1, but because I forgot to change it I was getting the same value for both tags. I used the correct address in the plc, but the HMI made no sense.

I don't know if your problem is the same, but it's something that's easy to check.

Charlie

i use MSAccess to check for duplicate addresses to the PLCs (about 7 of them). There were a grand total of 152 PLC addresses which go to more than one RSView tag. While this is not good and poor planning (system has been attacked by multiple programmers over the years) how does it cause the incorrect data problem. It will be a lot of work to rationalise all these tags!

I guess the thing to do is address only the tags you have issues with. Verify that the plc addresses in those tags are correct, both the correct plc and data field. I have never seen RSView, or any other HMI give the wrong information, but I have inadvertently asked for the wrong information and been confused.

Good luck.