OT - Maintenance Management Software

croakus

My plant is looking to upgrade from a roll-yer-own Preventative Maintenance tracker to an off the shelf package.
It should be:
installed on a server for up to 5 concurrent users
easy to use for maint. guys
support asset tracking (incl. links to docs and drawings)
Preventative Maintenance scheduling
PM procedures with pictures, parts required for job
link spare parts across multiple assets and locations, ect.
maybe has add-on modules for inventory, buys, ect.

We've had Maximo here, which didn't work too well as the plant didn't include a team to manage it. I've used Datastream's MP2 before and thought it was pretty good (though a little expensive for here). A guy here is looking at: Benchmate, Mapcon, and Cogz EZ Maint.

Basically, does anybody have recommendations on stuff they've seen, used, or stay away from?

Thanks,
Mike

Croakus,
FactoryPMI is a great general purpose tool for creating web launched applications - you could make a very cool and flexible PM application.

It is not, however, a precanned Maintenance tracking program. You would need somebody who knows SQL and doesn't mind learning a little scripting. The "right" intern would be able to nail this project for you.

I would recommend launching our public demo application for an example project, then signing up for a free web demo to get your questions answered.

croakus said:
My plant is looking to upgrade from a roll-yer-own Preventative Maintenance tracker to an off the shelf package.
It should be:
installed on a server for up to 5 concurrent users
easy to use for maint. guys
support asset tracking (incl. links to docs and drawings)
Preventative Maintenance scheduling
PM procedures with pictures, parts required for job
link spare parts across multiple assets and locations, ect.
maybe has add-on modules for inventory, buys, ect.

We've had Maximo here, which didn't work too well as the plant didn't include a team to manage it. I've used Datastream's MP2 before and thought it was pretty good (though a little expensive for here). A guy here is looking at: Benchmate, Mapcon, and Cogz EZ Maint.

Basically, does anybody have recommendations on stuff they've seen, used, or stay away from?

Thanks,
Mike

We use MEX - seems to work fine, is easy to enter data. Biggest problem isnobody actually looks at the data so at the moment it is simply a massive database!

We had MAPCON for several years and except for the gal that would sit and try to get things working we didn't like it. We had the DOS version and early Windows. Some issues were store room parts searching was via keyword. The EXACT keyword that some clerk would enter that may not match what a maintenance guy would call the device. Unless they really changed their ways I would stay away.
Oh, we now use the mega-buck SAP system. It works if the programmers understand what you need to do and actually listen, but has it's own quirks. It is a small part of a corporate business system and is very, very expensive.

John Soltesz said:
Oh, we now use the mega-buck SAP system..

The first of next year, we are changing over to SAP, world wide we are slowly rolling into this, but SAP is not just for maintenance (as you know) but that is the reason for the price tag, we have over 10 full time employees just running it and implementing it into our plants, its been a 2year project for them so far

geniusintraining said:
The first of next year, we are changing over to SAP, world wide we are slowly rolling into this, but SAP is not just for maintenance (as you know) but that is the reason for the price tag, we have over 10 full time employees just running it and implementing it into our plants, its been a 2year project for them so far

Not to steer this thread off topic, but......

Does anyone know the sales pitch that SAP uses? I really need to find out so I can continue to sell a product for over $1M even though 90%+(guestimate) of the user comments are negative and it requires a full time army to support.

I am still waiting to hear from any SAP user that would honestly say it is worth the $5M they spent.

SNK said:
5M? Yeah, right. Mild estimate at best!

Our complete business system (as far as I know) was converted to SAP several years ago and at that time the cost was some USD$20 mil. I have no idea what the upgrades and improvements cost since startup. Did it improve our bottom line? If you spent this kind of money you will make it look like it has helped just to save your a$$.

John Soltesz said:
Did it improve our bottom line? If you spent this kind of money you will make it look like it has helped just to save your a$$.

ding!ding!ding! ....I have done it for less then 20m myself, who's a$$ is more better to save then your own

The two best equipment management systems I have come across are AMS from Emerson and PRM from Yokogawa. They are oriented more to the maintenance guy and cover all the calibration, spares and technical information requirements I've ever needed. They also support HART multiplexers and HART IO so you can manage your instruments in real time. That means cal routes, diagnostics and re-programming all from a central database. They also support server/client and audit trail.
They have hooks to link in to the popular 'enterprise management systems' like SAP.

Costwise, AMS is about $20k, PRM about half that for a 500 tag system.
I've used Maximo, SAP and Datastream as well as some more obscure and 'roll-your-own' systems and they are geared towards the bean counters more than the maintenance folks, I would look at the two I suggested.

SLC_Integrator said:
I've used Maximo, SAP and Datastream as well as some more obscure and 'roll-your-own' systems and they are geared towards the bean counters more than the maintenance folks, I would look at the two I suggested.

I am not familiar with Maximo, but do know what SAP is and there is a Datastream program some what similar.

The OP talked about DataStream MP2 http://www.datastream.net/english/products/mp2.aspx
which is a maintenance program.

The problem, as I have experienced it, is that to establish any "system" it takes at least one full time person (possibly more) to setup and maintain the system. Much of the details depend on the size of the company and getting all the necessary information into the system....AS NEEDED.

Personally like MP2, for a price they use to come in and setup a system for you. Grainger use to sell a program they had for $189, this was 8 years ago, that was really easy to use

Here is a list of software, demos, shareware, and freeware: http://www.plant-maintenance.com/freestuff/index.shtml

Here is one I played around with that seems ok, its $500: http://www.imonitsoftware.com/

Use the keyword CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) for a google search.

Archie said:
Not to steer this thread off topic, but......

Does anyone know the sales pitch that SAP uses? I really need to find out so I can continue to sell a product for over $1M even though 90%+(guestimate) of the user comments are negative and it requires a full time army to support.

I am still waiting to hear from any SAP user that would honestly say it is worth the $5M they spent.
Used SAP briefly. It so "popular" because there is no real competitor to what it can do, as far as intergrating various function of a company. Heck, I hear Microsoft use it as its primary corporate management software.

I have no idea where you get the 90% negative comment from. It's just like office and desktop OS application for Microsoft, people will b*tch about it but there's no real alternative out there.

Another tidbit, a good SAP dude makes about $100k+ easy