OT: missing Private Message alerts ...

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
is it just me, or has anyone noticed this minor little "issue" before? ... seems like quite often when I send someone a PM, it never gets read ... I sent one to Mickey yesterday ... and one to Bernie Carlton earlier today ... neither one has been read - even though (according to the "online" list) Mickey has been back online ... not sure about Bernie ...

now maybe they're just ignoring me ... if so, I can learn to live with the rejection ... but I've got a hunch that their little "PM alert" boxes are flashing away - but they just haven't noticed them ... and this has happened before in the past - sometimes the PMs that I send just never get read ...

Question to our gracious benefactor Phil:

is it possible to make the "alert" flash some other color? ... maybe yellow or something? ... maybe people are just missing the flashing pattern?

then again, it's probably just me ...

On one of the other forums that you and I visit, if you get a PM, a "box" pops up in the middle of the screen, with the first few words of the PM. You cannot miss it. The two sites most likely use different software, so that may not be possible here.

Ron Beaufort said:
is it just me, or has anyone noticed this minor little "issue" before? ... seems like quite often when I send someone a PM, it never gets read ... I sent one to Mickey yesterday ... and one to Bernie Carlton earlier today ... neither one has been read - even though (according to the "online" list) Mickey has been back online ... not sure about Bernie ...

now maybe they're just ignoring me ... if so, I can learn to live with the rejection ... but I've got a hunch that their little "PM alert" boxes are flashing away - but they just haven't noticed them ... and this has happened before in the past - sometimes the PMs that I send just never get read ...

Question to our gracious benefactor Phil:

is it possible to make the "alert" flash some other color? ... maybe yellow or something? ... maybe people are just missing the flashing pattern?

then again, it's probably just me ...

Hmmm? I did responed. And just replied.
I usually see the PM's thru e-mail first. I have never noticed the flashing (whatever)before.

Under the user control panel, Settings and Options, Edit Options, there is a box that can be checked to enable a pop up when you receive a new private message - but the broswer also has to be set to allow pop ups for this site. You can also enable a private email alert to notify you of a new private message.

However, if the member you are PM-ing chooses to not enable pesky alerts then all you can do is wait and hope they see that they have a message.

A100307A.JPG

Alaric said:
Under the user control panel, Settings and Options, Edit Options, there is a box that can be checked to enable a pop up when you receive a new private message - but the broswer also has to be set to allow pop ups for this site. You can also enable a private email alert to notify you of a new private message.

However, if the member you are PM-ing chooses to not enable pesky alerts then all you can do is wait and hope they see that they have a message.

A100307A.JPG

OHHH!! said the blind man.
I had that unchecked.

Now that answered a question I had for a very long time. I had neither box checked, so if I didn't look in the upper right for Unread messages, then I did not notice them for a long time!

Ron, thanks for bringing that up. Alaric, thanks for helping us less informed get with the program.

Last edited: