OT Condensation in electrical gear - best prevention

leitmotif

At work we have several Siemens disconnects 60 amp at 240 and 480 VAC. They are washdown rated. They are in a room cooled to 35 F. The power source is on the other side of the insulated wall at approx 70 F. Conduit feeding them is in the top of the disconnect. These have water dripping off the internal components (switch and fuses).

Have checked the fitting in top appears good it is watertite hub type fitting with gasket. Door gaskets also appear good.

USA Natl Elect Code requires that air flow be stopped in conduits going from warm room to cool room.

I believe at least part of the problem is water condensing in the conduit and then dripping (dribbling ??) down into disconnect.

SO here is the question
How do I plug the conduit
AND
make it easy to remove the plug and wires when we retrofit or do maintenance.

I can squirt foam in the conduit but it will be the pits to have to dig that out. Am sort of thinking of using RTV but again the digout problem.

Anybody in the food business have any good ideas or recommendations for hardware???

Thanks
Dan Bentler

Use duct seal. A putty like compound that you push into the conduit. It can be easily removed if needed. Check with your electrical supplier for whatever brand they use.

http://www.panduit.com

"Duct Seal Sealing Compound – in 1 and 5 lbs Packages

• Seals irregular openings from air, dust or water
• Non-hardening sealant that adheres to metal, masonry, wood or plastic
• Provides vibration dampening
• Meet the requirements of UL 514A (paragraph 27.15) – electrical outlet box cover water seal
• Safe and easy to use, non-corrosive, non-toxic, no asbestos, will not stain or harm hands, and no unpleasant odor.
• Dielectric Strength: 200V/Mil, Min .030" thick"