password protected program

James Mcquade

We have a new guy here at the plant and somehow he has password protedted a micrologix 1200 and 1500 program within the space of 4 hours. we no longer have the ability to get online with the units and this guy cannot remember the password (he says).

other than crash the plc and re-enter the program code by hand, is there some way we can figure out what these passwords are?

thanks in advance,
james

How large of a file is it?
Do you have a laptop with RS500?
Or a hand held programmer?
Glad to hear he's out the door. That's no accident, it's trouble waiting to happen.

Does not really matter how large it is, with an ML you have to take it back to default and re-write the program if you do not have a copy.

What I do not understand is why you do not have a copy on disk or the PC, undoubtedly he was able to access it to change the password. If my memory is correct the ML1200/1500 does not support online editing so the program would have to be taken from the PLC to the PC, then the changes made and placed back into the PLC.

If a handheld, which I have not seen used in 10 years and never with an ML, was involved then I would work on obtaining a computer and RSLogix500.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
If my memory is correct the ML1200/1500 does not support online editing so the program would have to be taken from the PLC to the PC, then the changes made and placed back into the PLC.

And if you have RSLogix setup to make backup copies, there very well may be one in a pre-password condition.

Too bad you can't hold this guy's check until he "remembers".

If you open the .RSS files for the programmes in these PLC's using Notepad or something similar you should be able to find the password. It will be located somewhere around the path and the program title but could be difficult to locate if you are not sure where to look. If you have a spare ML available you could try creating a new project in Logix 500 and add an easily identifiable password. You can then do a search in notepad which should point you to the right location.

Andybr

You are now on my ignore list, never said anything constructive and when you do say things it is either not relative or misleading.