PanelBuilder Bitmaps

Doug Bucher

I'm new to the PanelBuilder. Is there a way to generate monochrome bitmaps that can be imported to the program so that a change of state can be shown by changing color? I can only seem to generate color or black and white, so far.

Look up the word monochrome...

1.) The state of being in a single color.
2.) A black-and-white image, as in photography or on television

Unless you buy a grayscale or color PanelView, you're stuck... :(

beerchug

-Eric

Is there a way to generate monochrome bitmaps that can be imported to the program so that a change of state can be shown by changing color?

I have (hopefully) attached a sample that will show you how to make your monochrome bitmap appear to change color.

If you change the state of the button it appears to change color.

Hopefully this is what you need.

Steve

For the creation of the bitmap itself, good old MS-Paint (at least the version that comes with Windows 2k) has the option for monochrome bitmap under the File/Save As menu.

If you use this monochrome bitmap on a color panelview, then you can use the panelview colors to change the appearance of the bitmap. If the bitmap is an inner graphic on a pushbutton or other object, first select the object so it is highlighted, then select Format/Inner Graphic from the menu bar and use the left mouse button to select a forground color from the color toolbar and right mouse button to select a background color.

In the image below. I converted Steve's application from PV550 to PV600 (color). I did not change the bitmap in any way, just used the method described above to change the color. The colors are based on states and so, as you requested, can indicate state w/ color. I also had to change the color of the inner text in the objects.

Hope this helps

monobitmap.gif

Importing Panelview Bitmaps

There are two things to do when importing bitmaps that you want to control the color of on a Panelview.

1) Regardless of how you actually create the bitmap, open the bitmap in MS Paint (comes with all versions of Windows), and SaveAs the file as a monochrome bitmap.

2) When you select the file for importing into PanelView, you need to change the "Color Format" option from "16 color" (default) to "Monochorme". If you don't do this, you'll just be importing a black and white bitmap, not a bitmap which will take on the assigned background and foreground colors.

Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward process.