Flying Shear

teritask

Hi,
I'm new to PLC's...more of a PC and Labview person for 20 years...Question to you pros out there...We're building a flying shear machine (I know, basically reinventing the wheel). The hardware chosen (and purchased) is an AB 1769-L32E. We are not controlling the pipe feeder, just synchronizing with it. My question of the day is...did we blow it with the hardware? Will I be able to use the motion instructions to control my accelerator? We're not using SERCOS...the drive is controlled with +/- 10V analog output (1769-OF2). Kind of worried that this isn't going to work. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Teri

Well, the bad news is you've got a PLC without the motion capabilies native to the CLX line.
It would be much easier to synch the shear with a L43 processor.

You are going to be hard pressed to do this in the L43. The only motion module AB makes for the L43 is a SERCOS module (as far as I can tell). You could try to do it all in the L35E plc through standard I/O. Without knowing your system I don't know how reasonable that is.

Since you already plan on going with the L32E I suggest you look here:
http://www.deltacompsys.com/products/motion/rmc70/cpu75e.php

You can connect from the PLC to the RMC75 via Ethernet I/P and let the motion controller take care of the motion.

Keith