Writing to Proface HMI

jcallis2669

Good day to all.
I'm a novice at best with plc programming and use mainly as a troubleshooting tool. Recently it was delegated to me to add a sensor to our app to detect if the correct part was being used. A pokeyoke. My counterpart and I have been doing ok with the programming and implementation of the pokeyoke.
Now I need to add the new prox to the display on the HMI to show which sensor is not being made for the operators to correct. I have been RTM and would like some help understanding what is and isn't possible to do.
The hardware is Mitsubishi plc A2USH cpu s-1 and the HMI is Proface GP2301H-SC41-24v. Some questions:

1) Is it possible that the HMI is reading the complete ladder in the plc and I only need to address the new bit in the screen format?

2) How can I add this new what amounts to a circle to the picture already in use when I don't think I have a copy to work with.

I'm sure that I havn't asked all I need to but if I could just get pointed in the right direction I could move forward.

Thanks for any replies.
Craig

First off youll need Pro-Designer software and a copy of the original application if you want to modify anything.

The file format for Xycom is a .pdz

Once you have that youll need to find the correct address in the PLC for the item you want to point at, build the correct variable in Pro-Designer and add it on a screen somewhere.
Then youll need a Xycom Tool cable to download to the Xycom as a 2301T HMI doesnt have an ethernet port and you cant download through the com port.

Hi you probably need Proface 'GP Pro' software (this is the UK name for it) and a programming lead to do this. If you are lucky you will be able to upload the screen program to your laptop and then perform the changes needed.

o_O I have the software. Learning on the fly how to use it is the challenge. Is it possible, if I have the right hardware to connect, to upload the program currently on the HMI then work with it off line then download the new and improved version? This may be the only way that we can learn about this. No down time in the automotive industry. Well at least not here.

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure its a compiled application and once its downloaded you cant pull it back out and change anything.

To do that you need the original .pdz application file in its uncompiled format.

I will check and post back.

Guys:

Could we please find out first what was used to program Craig's HMI: Pro-Designer, GP Pro or maybe even QuickDesigner?

All three packages will work with 2000 series HMIs; each package is different and they are not convertable to each other's formats.

Otherwise, we are just wasting time.

PS: Pro-Designer does not have "Upload" function, period. If you don't have the original source file, you are toast. GP Pro and QD may allow you to upload the app from the HMI - as long as that option was enabled during the last download. If not...
And, answering Craig's question #1: HMI is not reading the complete (or, for that matter, incomplete) ladder - it reads the PLCs data memory. In other words, HMI does not know a thing about the code, the logic - but it can read any bit, byte and word of the data. Some drivers would allow you to read input and output memory, some not. But all of them do read the internal registers.

LadderLogic said:
Guys:

Could we please find out first what was used to program Craig's HMI: Pro-Designer, GP Pro or maybe even QuickDesigner?

All three packages will work with 2000 series HMIs; each package is different and they are not convertable to each other's formats.

Otherwise, we are just wasting time.

PS: Pro-Designer does not have "Upload" function, period. If you don't have the original source file, you are toast. GP Pro and QD may allow you to upload the app from the HMI - as long as that option was enabled during the last download. If not...
And, answering Craig's question #1: HMI is not reading the complete (or, for that matter, incomplete) ladder - it reads the PLCs data memory. In other words, HMI does not know a thing about the code, the logic - but it can read any bit, byte and word of the data. Some drivers would allow you to read input and output memory, some not. But all of them do read the internal registers.

It's GP PRO/PB3 v.7.23 Pro Control Editor.
The main reason for asking about the upload is that this system was built in Japan and response time from there is lengthy. But if that is the only option then that is what will be done.
So it accesses the data memory and can be programmed to display, say, an input state or register value and on and on. Much clearer. I'll have to get cracking on the original I'm sure.
Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Owe you a beer.

I will check out my gp pro on Monday for upload. I seem to remember you can check a box when you download to save an 'uploadable' version.

I know you can definetley upload a quick designer project in v3.8 but as already said the different packages are not compatible.

Cheers

Hi
I have checked my GP Pro software and their is definetley an upload option.

Cheers