RSView/M1100

I I L

Hey,

I am trying to interface a Micrologix 1100 controller with RSView Works 1500 (v 7.2), also using RSLinx Classic (v 2.5).

The 1100 was assigned an IP address, and a driver was configured in Linx ("Remote Devices via Linx Gateway"). A direct driver node was configured in View.

When running the project in View, I keep getting a "Channel 1 ERROR - Application layer timed out while waiting for a response."

Thanks for your help

hey, thanks for the reply.

i'm using channel 1 of the 1100 (ethernet) to a pc with a router in between.

are you saying i need to use an opc or dde server, that a direct driver will not work?

thanks for helping

Magic 8 Ball said:
so your mixing ethernet and serial?? rsview32 direct driver is serial??

time out means they arent talking.

RSView32's direct driver is a direct connection to RSLinx rather than using RSLinx's OPC server and it can use ANY driver that RSLinx supports, including both Ethernet and Serial.

The ML1100 PLC has some unique CIP settings and I suspect that is where you are getting into trouble with the direct connection. There is a technote on the AB website about the ML1100 e-net port settings. Also try searching the forum for ML1100 (or MicroLogix 1100) and CIP. You'll especially run into issues if you have RSLogix and RSView connected at the same time unless you change the CIP settings.

Last edited:
Network problem, not controller problem

Make sure you are using RSLinx version 2.51, which is necessary to support access to the MicroLogix 1100 by RSLogix 500 and by RSView32.

Although the "remote devices via Linx Gateway" driver will work with most Ethernet devices, what you want is the "Ethernet Devices" driver, in which you put the IP address of the MicroLogix into a table.

Does the MicroLogix 1100 appear in the "RSWho" browse in RSLinx ?

Probably your problem involves the router between the MicroLogix 1100 and the RSView computer. If that router means that the MicroLogix and the RSView computer are on different IP subnets, then the MicroLogix needs to be configured with its "Default Gateway" address equal to the IP address of the router on the MicroLogix network, and your computer also has to know the address of the router on its side.

Post the actual IP addresses, subnet masks, and default gateway settings for the MicroLogix, the router (both sides !) and your PC.

The IP addresses/Subnets are as follows:

PC - IP 191.1.1.1, Subnet 255.255.255.0
M1100 - IP 191.1.1.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0

I am able to see the M1100 on Linx, and go online with it in Logix. However, using the Tag Monitor in View the tags all have errors. Will try using the other ethernet driver you mentioned.

Thanks again

If those are your IP addresses, then your computer and the MicroLogix are on the same subnet, and there is no router in between. Maybe you meant "switch".

Since you can go online with RSLogix 500 and RSLinx, that means you are using RSLinx 2.51. That's more good information.

I'll have to get my hands on a ML1100 to comment further.

What's your timeout value set at? under EditMode/Node/'YourPLC' highlight your PLC, there is a timeout value on the bottom under your PLC type, I think default is 3.000

Also this is where you should have the setting that Alaric was talking about "Direct Driver" channel, station, etc

Yeah the timeout was set to 3 seconds.

I tried using the serial channel (0) with the RS-232 driver, and it works just fine. There's something weird going on with the ethernet channel.

I know that Wonderware does not have a driver for the 1100 ethernet channel, maybe View does not support it either.
Thanks again

Whats going on is that the ML100 only allows a limited number of connections on Ethernet. RSLogix and RSView direct connection are both going to want to make multiple connections (of both fast and slow connections). Thats why you need to go the the knowledgebase at http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/ and get the technotes on how to correct the problem. You will correct the problem by configuring RSLinx to limit how many connections RSView can make once you read the technotes.

edit: BTW - RSView can support anything that RSLinx can talk to, so it can talk to the ML1100.

Last edited:
alaric, i followed the instruction in the tech notes, but still cannot connect to channel 1. i read the user manual for the 1100 again, and it stated that the ethernet channel was for messaging only.

thanks

When trying to perform online edits across Ethernet using AB_ETH or the AB_ETHIP driver,

If hes trying to online edit...set it up... dont think its gonna help tho.

When you start RSView32 Worx and select a project to open do you get a message " connecting to server " " opening tag database" and does it start the watcom tag server??.. if not needs some tweaking first.

Magic 8 Ball said:
When trying to perform online edits across Ethernet using AB_ETH or the AB_ETHIP driver,

If hes trying to online edit...set it up... dont think its gonna help tho.

The ML1100 can only accept one E-net connection. The online edits issue is just one of the sypmptoms of that. RSView may also be tyring to establish more than one connection. If it does, it will fail also.

All I've offered is a suggestion to try to resolve the problem.