Can anyone share sample PowerFlex (DeviceNet)'Explicit Message' sample code Logix500?

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I am trying to extract Amps and Hours from my drives. I have a very functional DeviceNet working. I'm able to start/stop snd speed control my drives using standard MOV blocks and bits.

Now I must extract useful information, but it can only be done using 'Explicit Messaging', a concept where I 'ask' the drive for information, and it 'reports' back to me using Message Blocks.

In the manual, the message block format is: Mn:n.nnn

In RSLogix 500, the Message format is: MGnn:n.TYPE

I am unable to force Logix to accept the block type (address) given to me (Manual: 22-COMM-D, DeviceNet Adapter Card) The manual states SLC, but I am using a MicroLogix 1500.

If anyone can help clear up some confusion by pointing me in the right direction, I woild appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tim

M, Mg, Mmm....

SLC-5/0x controllers and the 1747-SDN have had DeviceNet Explicit Messaging capability for a decade, but the mechanism relies on complex assembly of data into blocks that were then transferred in and out of the 1747-SDN using Module Files, designated M0 and M1.

SLC controllers with Series C FRN 10 operating systems have the new and improved DeviceNet Explicit Message (DEM) instruction, which takes all the dirty work of M0/M1 file structure and buffer handling off your hands.

MicroLogix 1500 and the 1769-SDN had the advantage of some perspective, and the MicroLogix 1764-LRP has had an explicit message capability using MSG instructions since it was introduced about five years ago. These MSG instructions use the formatted MG data type of control block.

I've done quite a few MSG-based data collection examples but haven't polished one with MicroLogix 1500 and DeviceNet to 22-COMM-D lately. I'll dig around the published stuff on the RA Samplecode website.

How many drives are you going to read data from ? How many, and which parameters do you need to read ?

Hi Ken,

I am (for now) wanting Amps, Hours and perhaps a few other parameters, but two for now.

I have four drives (PowerFlex 400)

My CPU is ML1500 LRP Series Cand Net card is 1769-SDN, like your example above.

I forgot to look at RA's sample code, D'OH! I'll look too. Thanks.

tim

Let's start off easy with a test message.

Assumptions (correct or adjust as needed):

Drives are in "single drive" mode so that the Parameter Instance = Parameter Number.
1769-SDN is Node 0, drives are Nodes 1,2,3,4.
1769-SDN is in Slot 1 of the MicroLogix 1500 expansion bus.

The MicroLogix 1500 MSG instruction will narrow down the CIP object addressing so all you have to enter is the Parameter Number. Output Amps is Parameter 3, and Elapsed Runtime is Parameter 12. Elapsed Runtime is a very rough value; it's expressed in units of 10 hours, so you might want to do your own calculations of runtime.

The MSG instruction configuration window looks like this:

ML1500_MSG.GIF

OK, got it Ken. Where is the message data being outputted?

I put this block on a rung, and am monitoring the MG11 file, but don't know where the output data is (I'm remotely away from my drive to check A on the keypad).

Thanks,

Tim

Hello, Zippro,

The PowerFlex 700S is a complex drive but the ControlLogix MSG instruction is significantly easier to use than the 1747-SDN and DeviceNet Explicit Message.

Look up the Parameter Object for the network adapter you're using in the drive (DeviceNet, ControlNet, Ethernet, etc) and it will give you all the information you need to read and write Parameter values using the MSG instruction.

Internal value in drive tools

thanks for your help.
I have a question about internal value in soft driveExecutive .
because value return when i read Parameter values of driver using the MSG instruction is internal value in soft driveExecutive .
how can i convert from internal value to value?
Can u explain to me or show me documents to do it?

parameter.jpg

thanks.