OT: DP level transmitter for Cryogenic liquid.

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay, before we get started, a DP transmitter is my only option, tank contains liquid ethylene, cannot use a radar or ultra sonic, load cells are no good either.

I'm looking for a DP transmitter for use on a liquid ethylene tank, temperature is around -150F. Anyone know of a vendor, I've already tried Emerson.
Area classification is Class I, Div. I, prefer I.S. but Ex.P will be okay too.

thanks,

Ken

Specific gravity is about 0.58

Doing a standard google for DP transmitters doen't work.
I need to find someone who has something that can stand direct contact with -150F, most only do -40F.

Ethylene is a different chemical than
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
ethanol (booze).
Gotta be careful with those chemical names.
Even tho ethylene glycol has the ethylene molecule in the chain it is a completely different chemical than ethylene and has different physical properties. Sort ot the same with metal alloys.

Ken what is the goal of doing this measuring volume (level?) in tank
to know how much is left
and or using amount left per unit time to know how much is being dispensed (ie flow rate).

Dan Bentler

.058 possible displacer application?

I'm not sure how low in temp they go but it better be awfull cold to screw up a ss displacer heh

Ken,

Is there any chance that the transmitter will not be exposed to the -150F? I'm thinking about steam drum transmitters and wet legs.. Point being, the transmitter is not exposed to the same temp of the fluid it measures. It is located outside of the fire box.

That's cold stuff, and low SG too. The standard 150 H2O" range would give you about 87" to work with. Strange things happen at low temps.

Ken,

Our LN2 and LAr2 cryo tanks use Endress+Hauser DP transmitters on them. Not sure of the model, I would have to hike out to the farm and look. You might give them a try.

Thanks,
I'll give the local E&H dist. a call today, we also have LN2, but the tank is leased and we never have to touch it, it calls the owner when it's low and they come fill it. You post gives me hope, because LN2 is much colder than LC2H4, -320 to -340 vs. -150 to -175.