Slow ethernet -Panelview+

Gazarob

Has anyone had this problem?
A SLC5/05 connected to five Panelview plus touchscreens, one 1500 & four 600, the response is very slow, e.g. a button press to activate an output takes approx 1.5secs, I know of the default screen update times issue and this is not the case, with RSLogix online via AB-ETH-1 the anaimated icon chugs round at snails pace, I have tried all the possible ethernet comms settings from auto negotiate down to 10mbb half duplex fixed but none make much difference. The 5/05 Html diagnostics pages dont show anything a miss, lost packets etc all zero. RSlinx shows the packet rate at 2.5 /sec (slow).Could it be the 5/05 just not able to cope?

Could six PV+ terminals overwhelm the communication channel of an SLC-5/05 controller ? Sure. Depends largely on how much data they are requesting, and how fast.

Are yours ? Can't say. Time to investigate.

Is this an older SLC-5/05 (10 Mb/s Half Duplex Ethernet) or a new Series C hardware unit (100 Mb/s Full Duplex Ethernet).

How long is the controller scantime ?

Are you performing any Ethernet or DF1 messaging in the controller ?

Make sure the S:2/15 status bit is zero, so that the SLC processes all the incoming communication requests every scan instead of just one per scan.

What kind of switch do you have in this system ?

Is there any other Ethernet equipment connected to this switch (like ControlLogix running Ethernet I/O ) ?

Autonegotiation is the best speed/duplex setting mechanism if both the switch and device support it. Never set one device for autonegotiate and one for a static speed/duplex setting.

Gazarob said:
Has anyone had this problem?
A SLC5/05 connected to five Panelview plus touchscreens, one 1500 & four 600, the response is very slow, e.g. a button press to activate an output takes approx 1.5secs, I know of the default screen update times issue and this is not the case, with RSLogix online via AB-ETH-1 the anaimated icon chugs round at snails pace, I have tried all the possible ethernet comms settings from auto negotiate down to 10mbb half duplex fixed but none make much difference. The 5/05 Html diagnostics pages dont show anything a miss, lost packets etc all zero. RSlinx shows the packet rate at 2.5 /sec (slow).Could it be the 5/05 just not able to cope?

Along with what Ken said, test each segment of the ethernet cables with a proper ethernet tester.

Hi Ken
The main panel PV+1500 can have quite a lot of data depending which screen display is active, the other four PV+600 are quite minimal, just a few digital and 2 analog values.
The SLC5/05 is a brand new C series
Longest scan time is only 5 or 6 ms
No not doing any messaging.
I'll check out S:2/15 on monday.
The switch is is some generic model staight out of the R.S. catalog,"fast ethernet switch"
Nothing else on the network.
Yes, put everything back to auto negotiate. lights on switch show everyting on 100mbs half duplex (the pv+600's dont support full duplex at 100mbs going by fact that that option is greyed out in terminal setup.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: