5000 Data Types

DBLD99

what is the purpose of using this type of addressing. I seen this is a recent customers program.

Real[1,8]

I know it makes sense if it was Real[8,8] but this first one just does not make sense to me and every data type is setup like that, as 1,8

Thanks

Well, that's an array - 1 "column" by 8 "rows". View it like this:

Real[1,1]
Real[1,2]
Real[1,3]
Real[1,8]

I'm not sure why they would have done it that way. Unless they were planning on possibly more than one identical machine/line/system. When I have multiple units, I tend to use arrays like that, with the "column" representing the unit and the "row" representing the parameter.

e.g., Real[2,4] would be parameter 4 for machine 2
Real[3,2] would be parameter 2 for machine 3

Real[1,1] Real[2,1] ... Real[x,1]
Real[1,2] Real[2,2] ... Real[x,2]
Real[1,y] Real[2,y] ... Real[x,y]

When used like you've described, it could have just as well been Real[8]

Last edited:
Yeah I know, This is a standalong unit no need for expansion so why take the time to add another dimension when all he had to do was do like you said. [8]

Anyway - just ranting because it is friday and anyone can be a programmer!