New in PLC-5, Old in S7 PLC

neziu

Hi to All AB users,

Sorry I can't collaborate my question very clearly because I am not familiar with this Allen Bradley (AB) PLC, Its my first time.

My Company that I work have 3 units of AB PLC which came from its Old plant somewhere else. I try to learn programming from this controller so I download AB software from this site and fabricate a cable, to be able the PC communicate to the PLC.

When I try to write a program to the PLC using the Siemens FieldPG (PC) Communication port 1 connected to Allen Bradley PLC-5/40E (PLC) Channel port 0 by the serial cable that I fabricate. (pinout is based on the AB manual). Error was detected, I cannot go on-line and I also try it on the other one unit, the result is the same.

After a very frustrating days of trial and error I try the last one. At last the connection was stablish. Wooha! what a relief.

I have a http://**********/images/smiles/icon_question.gif , why is the last one unit go on-line the other two cannot? the only thing different between them is the revision, they are all PLC-5/40E, but the last one is rev. E01. the other is C01 and D.

I also have another question: How to communicate Allen Bradley PLC-5/40E to Siemens S7-400 CPU 414-2DP?. Exchanging data, software, hardware configuration, etc.. Is it possible? I use Ethernet protocol Siemens ELS TP40 (link: http://www.automation.siemens.com/net/html_76/produkte/040_els.htm).

Again many thanks,
neziu
[font=Modern No. 20]"Do What Is Right! and Help Others To Do So,[/font]​
[font=Modern No. 20]Don't Do What Is Wrong, and Don't Tolerate Those Who Do." [/font]​

Hi,

You miss out to mention what software you use to connect to PLC5. What is the cable pinout, etc.

There are 2 softwares I know can communicate to it.

1. The DOS version of 6200 series software
2. RSLogix 5

If you are using RSLogix 5 you need another software called RSLinx to establish communication with the PLC. You must be able see the processor in RSLinx [not a yellow question mark] in order to go online withe PLC

I have no experience with Siemens and a PG, so can't comment on that.

Regards
_______

Thought I replied

I try to learn programming from this controller so I download AB software from this site and fabricate a cable, to be able the PC communicate to the PLC.

What exactly did you download from this site?

rsdoran said:
What exactly did you download from this site?

A programming sample. I did'nt know how to start because is my first time.

For the other question: Yes, we have also the RSLogix 5 and RSLink software, but it is an old version, do you think this is the problem why the other two cannot be connected?

I only fabricate cable based on AB manuals the pinout is for Cable 1784-CP11.

Did someone of you have an experince of connecting the AB PLC-5 to any manufacturer PLC? using ethernet or any protocol.
Please tell me a basic of how it was done?

thank you..
neziu

It's possible the serial port configuration has been changed on the two you can't communicate with.

I don't know how to reset it. If you had any documentation with the old PLCs, maybe there's an ethernet address you can use instead.

:unsure: Why did you go through all the trouble of making your own serial cable, when you could have gone online via ethernet ?
It is much faster, much easier, and you dont have to sit right next to the PLC.

Anyway, you cannot establish a direct connection via ethernet between the PLC5/40E PLCs and the Siemens S7 PLCs.

Woodhead/SSt have profibus cards for the PLC5 platform, and this may result in the fastest and most reliable connection between these two systems.

An alternative would be to install CP441's with a loadable DF1 driver in the S7 rack. You can then establish DF1 comms between a PLC5 and an S7 PLC.

Yet another alternative could be to use a PC with OPC servers as a "gateway" between the two systems. In this case, you should use a PC dedicated to this job, and it should be a rugged industrial PC.