Flow metering problem

magicsmoke

I know this isn't a PLC question, but I'm sure some has worked on this type of problem.

Problem I have a Hersey 1020 Totalizer with a Halliburton turbin flow meter connected to it when the pump kick on the Hersey Totalizer tells me that 46gpm is flowing and after one min. I should have 46gpm accumulated on my meter, but I don't I'm only getting 36.

If some one could help that would be great.
Thanks
Magicsmoke

I glanced at google looking for documentation to help you dig in to it. I didn't see the actual Hersey site right away. Do you have the web address?

What type of signal connects the turbine to the Hersey?

Is this a digital electronic display or a mechanical display?

Stationmaster

Does it say 46 gpm for the entire first minute? Depending on the application, empty pipe, back pressure etc.... Flow rates can taper down to a sustained rate that is less than the start up rate.

I'm inclined to agree with Ken Moore. This issue is like comparing the readings on the speedometer on a vehicle (rate) and the odometer (totalised distance). If you view a speedometer which is reading 100 km/h you can't say with any justification "therefore I must have travelled 100 km in the last hour". It's not such a simple relationship - there are far too many other factors to be taken in to consideration.

Ken

usually for the meters u have something called k factor , this the number of pulses per unit volume , u should this number on the turbine meter and have it feed in the totalizer. u can get this number also from the calibration sheet if u have it.

Did u buy the totalizer intergrated with the turbine or seperate items?

This has been installed on our system for years and just started having problem's with it. I looked around and found the tag with the k factor and it was set right for that. Could the trubin be missed up and giving me false readings?

magicsmoke said:
This has been installed on our system for years and just started having problem's with it. I looked around and found the tag with the k factor and it was set right for that. Could the trubin be missed up and giving me false readings?

Turbines DO get messed up but if you're talking about a problem with the blades or prop, it should effect BOTH flow and total. The circuitry would be more suspect if you have a GENUINE discrepancy between flow and total.

Stationmaster

I couldn't find any docs online for the model numbers you gave. Can you describe the circuit? Signal type? etc?

Stationmaster

P.S. Hey wait a minute. You have books?

Last edited:
Had to dig deep but found the book found that some one entered the k factor backwards they went top to bottom which in the book they say bottom to top changed the k factor and everything is good. checked out 4 more and found they were wrong also.

Just a thought, signet flow meters have a k factor setting for both flow AND totalizer. They can be different. Maybe yours can too.
Marc