Ethernetip

Hello everyone:

Question?

I connect to a server that assignes me a IP address. There is a gateway to a manageable ethernet switch that all our Compac logix PLc are connected to.
10.15.10.205 If I connect to the ethernet switch I can config the rslinks driver Ethernet with each PLC address and everything is ok.
I can use the ethernetIP driver and it will browse and find all the PLC that are on the network. no problem.

Problem:

If I connect from my office and run rslinks, If I run the ethernet driver and install each IP address I can talk with each PLc. IF I load the ethernetIP driver that suppose to brouse the network it will not work. Reason I use EthernetIP is when I hook to another network the regular ethernet drive has about 50 IP address I have loaded.

I have config the ethernetIP driver many different ways and it will only work at the Ethernet switch at the PLC.

IF the regular Ethernet driver works in my office, I was confused why the EthernetIP drive will Not. Thanks for and help

You've both pretty much put your fingers on the issue.

The "Ethernet Devices" driver uses a table of IP addresses to browse nodes on any IP network.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver performs a UDP Broadcast on its local subnet, and all the connected devices answer. If the controllers are not on the local subnet with the PC, they likely will not receive the UDP Broadcast because such things are generally blocked by routers and gateways.

You can configure the EtherNet/IP driver when you create it to browse the local subnet or another IP subnet. That might work for you, depending on the nature of your router or gateway.

In most cases when you are moving a PC from one network to another, you will have to manually enter that table of IP addresses into the Ethernet Devices driver.