No Data Shown in RSLogix Integer File

Vetteboy

We are having intermittent problems with the transfer of data in a sequence of events where the data is being lost or overwritten and the problem is getting worse as the days go by. We are using a PLC 5.

The file the data is copied to and then transferred out of is called N75 - TMP and instead of showing values, every location shows a *

Is this abnormal enough to suspect the processor itself is having problems, or is this normal in some situation I'm not aware of.

Nope, it's the same old program doing the same old thing it's been doing since 1995, only now it's intermittently acting up.

Vetteboy
A little more info.
PLC-5/??
Asterisk are actually in PLC file N75?
How is the data getting into N75?(what instructions, COPY, FAL, MOV, BT....ETC.)
Is the data valid before file N75?
Are there any displays or HMIs involved?
Give a brief description.

Roger

Sounds like a software problem.

We are having intermittent problems with the transfer of data in a sequence of events where the data is being lost or overwritten and the problem is getting worse as the days go by. We are using a PLC 5.
Is the data actually being corrupted, or are you basing this statement on the fact that you can't see it in RSLogix?

If the data is not actually being corrupted,
Try switching the "radix" from decimal to binary (or hex) and see what happens. Is the data file view the only place where you see the problem, or is it all throughout the ladder program?

Also, What version of RSLogix, and what operating system is the PC?

Last edited:
93lt1

I was also wondering if it is actually N75: data file or if he was referring to N75: as it was displayed on some other device. If he is speaking of viewing N75: as Excel or PanelView data the answer could be as simple as data too large for provided space. But somehow I don't think so.
Just not enough details.

Roger

My Supervisor replied over the weekend to an email I sent him Friday. He used to have my job, and is obviously better at it than me. This was his reply. I'll have to speak to him to find out how a file loses it's privelages I guess.

The TMP file had its privilages disabled so I enabled them again. That's why you just saw the " * ".

Thanks guys,

Vetteboy

Protection

Here's the story about privilages from RSLogix5 help.

I was aware that this was a possibility, but I had never seen it implemented, so I didn't know how RSLogix displayed a protected file.

rslogix5.gif