1746-Net-AIC Adapter

themullet

Hi guys I hope someone can please offer me some advice!!!! At the moment I am having a lot of difficulty trying to communicate with an SLC 5/01 using my RSlogix 500 via a PIC box. (No surprises there then!) Anyway I was just wondering is it possible to program the 5/01 using a 1746-Net-AIC adapter (i.e. using the AIC as an rs-232 to DH485 converter)?? If so, what driver would I need to used in RSLinx?? Would the DF1 driver do the trick? Thanks in advance.

The 5/01 just has an RJ45 connection, as far as I remember.
That means you must use the PIC box to communicate. (Or DH-485 cable / PCMK card)as an alternative.
The 1746-Net-AIC block is for converting serial to network (RS-232 to DH-485). In this case, you don't have a serial port on the 5/01.
You need to use the PIC driver as well anyway, so it looks like you are stuck.
What is the problem that you are having with the PIC box?

The usual PIC driver problem with windows XP. I have tried the pic driver on windows 2000 as well but with no luck. I've spent about 2 days trying to get the PIC box working.

But the Net-AIC adapter is currently being used as a link between the 5/01 and a panelview 300?? A cable is going from port 3 on the adapter to the DH-485 port on the PLC and then there is another cable going from port 2 on the adapter to the Panelview 300. Would it not be possible to stick the laptop on port 1 of the Adapter and connect to the PLC?

Sorry, I misread your AIC adapter. I thought that you had the 1761-NET-AIC adapter, just realized that you have the 1746 unit.

Can you clarify what AIC device you are using?

Is it the 1747-AIC coupler?

Anyway I was just wondering is it possible to program the 5/01 using a 1746-Net-AIC adapter (i.e. using the AIC as an rs-232 to DH485 converter)?? If so, what driver would I need to used in RSLinx?? Would the DF1 driver do the trick? Thanks in advance.
Choose the pic as the driver, but don`t use a pic. use a null modem cable from your pc to 1746-Net-AIC adapter .

171747-uic

Hi My first post!
I may be selling my 1747-PIC devices (2)on ebay and use those funds for 1747-UIC after loosing a few hours today trying to talk to a slc501. Is there any alternative DH 485 converters or interface devices available since these older posts?

Another question is running Rslogix 500 3.7XX do you think the pic driver would see a com1 port on my older Compaq 1510US laptop running XP I have a Compaq port replicator with it and it has a serial com port that does connect to motherboard. Other 32 bit comm applications worked fine it's a true com1 (direct soft etc worked with no issues and no usb converter req'd).

Also I saw where someone installed and ran RSlogix 500 of a flash drive apparently to move the registration without a dongle or needing to go through the registration BS anyone try this ?
Thanks for any Input, Ken

I have posted this before, but here it is again. The VERY BEST DAY in my adult life was the day I got a UIC and NEVER had to use a PIC driver again! The UIC has both DH485 and a RS232 connector from USB and it's own driver in Linx.
Bill Gates designed Windows in way that did not completely respect RS232 port design criteria. The PIC technology predates Windows, therefore in order to use the PIC, it is necessary to reboot the PC so that the driver can steal the port away from the Windows OS. This makes Windows unhappy and it then devotes considerable effort to screwing up the rest of the serial comm related activities, just to get even with you. It took me 6 very long weeks to learn this leason.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

Sorry, for reviving this old thread but i´m having problems trying to connect a PV550 2711-B5A16 (df1 protocol) to an SLC fixed 500 plc ( dh485 connection) using a 1761-net-aic as an adapter between df1 protcol and the dh485, there is no comm between the pv550 and the plc. I´m using 1761-cbl-as03 between port 3 of AIC and the plc, and a one to one serial cable between port 1 of AIC and the PV550.

The 1761-NET-AIC is not a protocol converter. Its an electrical RS232 to DH485 converter and serves as an isolator for RS232 ports.
If you have a SLC500 fixed that only supports DH485 protocol then you will have to change your PV to one that supports DH485 protocol.