Fiber optic gigabit network between buildings

panic mode

Hi everyone,

I like to do my own research but I'm in pinch with time so I'm asking for help/advice:

We have two additional buildings which are close to the main building and we
want to network them. Idea is to use Gigabit ethernet, most likely fiber optic as both
runs are a bit over 100meter.

I've seen ethernet switches with fiber ports etc. I know that distances over 60-70km are possible
with the right setup etc. We probably don't need media converter for such small distance
so standard ethernet switches may do (maybe). So far it seams that 50micron multimode cable
is way to go (should do 550m, when using 850-nm wavelength).

Any suggesttions? Are outdoors rated cable available? Can they be suspended or need additional protection? How about terminations?

How much over 100 meters?
I've seen regular ethernet perfrom very well @ lengths over 150 meters.

An advantage of the fiber is the elctrical isolation. We had wired Ethernet between buildings which would be taken out by lightning strikes of a mile or more away. Fiber stopped that.

fair enough.

if we put additional switches at the closest corners it should be about 110m plus bends, cable sag etc., longer run is up to 170m (there is corner of another building in a way).

The electrical isolation is a great bonus.
110 meters the Ethernet will function no problems. Get good terminations & 170 is doable.