ASCII Commands

zx222001

This is my first time posting. I am using a SLC5/03 since we had an extra one laying around to mess with ascii commands before hooking up to the main PLC on the line. I am trying to communicate with a keyence vision system whcich I was successfull with communications with the pc to the vision system. I have read the posts of ascii commands for communications on here and I switched channel 0 to user instead of system and cleared the buffers.

I have started to write some ladder logic using the AWA and a few other commands. The problem I am having is that the error message on the command is 04h which means its in system mode not user. I have changed it to user mode, but the ER on the command is not green so it acts like it is not true. When i toggle the b3 bit for the rung to come true the command does nothing EN nor DN comes green.
Any suggestions?
I can post the program if needed it is just 3-5 rungs long trying to get familar with ascii since this is my first encounter with it.
Thanks,
Brad

I can't help out with the first question however I can post an example using an old (no longer existing machine) In the scanner section there is an example of ascii read and data manipulation.

zx222001 said:
Here is the program.

zx222001,
You are not running lad 3. You must add a JSR instruction to lad 2 to run your subroutine see pic. I can't help with ASCII instructions as I have never used them.

RunLad3.jpg

Brad,

I downloaded your program. I see your 4 rungs in Ladder 3, with 0 rungs in Ladder 2. In RSLogix, Lad 2 is the MAIN file, and for any others to run, they must be called from Ladder 2. You can move your 4 rungs from Ladder 3 to ladder 2 and they will become active, or you can set up Subroutine Call to run Ladder File 3.

I see the problem now another engineer was trying something on the plc before me and I must have just overlooked it. I will try it tomorrow and hopefully all goes well.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Brad