Getting Online - RS Logix 5

Worsley

Good morning all,

This morning I'm furthering my (mis)adventure with RS Logix 5. I have an Ethernet enabled PLC5 processor that I need to go online with, but apparently you need to configure IP addresses before using Ethernet to get online. The problem is that I cant get online with a regular AB programming cable because I don't have a serial port on my laptop. I have heard that USB serial adapters are hit and miss, functionally; has anyone had any luck using a USB Serial adapter to get online with these processors? If so, what brand did you use? Is there anything special I need to know.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that, Ken. However, I'm on a bit of a tight timeframe so I can't afford to wait for shipping. thanks.

JohnW has the right approach. A virgin PLC5e has bootp enabled. The bootp server is installed with most current programming packages from AB. Check for the file in Rockwell Software folder in the "Start\Allfiles\Rockwell Software" menu on you system. It is called "BOOTP-DHCP Server". Help files should.

Okay.
Does the PLC-5 already have an I/P address?
Or is your goal to assign one?

If it already has one hard coded, the bootp will not help.

You might be able to "sniff" the I/P address.

So back to my original question: Has anyone had any luck with a USB Serial port adapter? I cannot get online using the ethernet connection. Orrr...Ken, how would you go about "sniffing" the IP address?

Pull battery out and cycle power, it will reset controller to BOOTP and erase IP if it was set

Use BOOTP server at this point

Last edited:
Ok, I did that. Now, being as I've never used BootP before, When it asks me for network settings, is it referring to the settings I want for the PLC, or the settings for my laptop? Either way, how do I figure out what these addresses should be? Apologies for my newb-ness.

When the BOOTP/DHCP server asks for "network settings", you are configuring the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway values that it will send to the controllers when they request an IP address.

These values should be the same as the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway that your computer's Ethernet interface is using.

To determine your computer's TCP/IP settings, open a Command window and type "IPCONFIG /ALL".

Ethernet 101

Most folks who use Ethernet in the office don't mess with it much; their office servers perform DHCP to set their address and all the other particulars, and they just plug it and it goes.

In order to simplify your PC settings, you can leave that DHCP client setting alone and set up an "Alternate" IP configuration for when you are not plugged in at the office, like when you plug into a switch with your PLC-5E.

In Windows XP, go to the Control Panel, then Network Connections.

Select your Local Area Network connection, right-click and select Properties.

Select the TCP/IP Protocol, and click the Properties button.

On the "Alternate" tab, select User Configuration, then put in the basic settings you need to perform automation tasks.

Usually my Alternate configuration is a simple Class C subnet with IP addresses reserved for routers or modems that might be in the system..

My IP = 192.168.1.3
My Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
My Default Gateway = 92.168.1.1

The DNS and WINS setttings do not matter for most simple automation tasks.

When I unplug from the office network and plug into the automation network, it takes about a minute before the default TCP/IP configuration fails and the Alternate Configuration takes effect. I open a Command Prompt window, use "ipconfig /all" to check my configuration, PING the PLC to be sure responding. Then I can go ahead and start working with RSLinx and RSLogix.