OptoIsolator Relays

S7Guy

Ok, I've got an upcoming project where I'm interfacing to some third party equipment. Much of it will be a discrete interface, and I am looking at needing about 120 optoisolator relays. The input from the will be 24v from the machines, and will switch 24v to my PLC input cards.

What I'm wondering is whether I can eliminate the relays altogther. At $30 each, it's not a huge deal, but if I can safely drop them, why not? I'm using Siemens 32pt digital input cards; do they offer some degree of isolation? What should I look for?

The project has a relatively small margin, but of course I don't want to have problems either. Thoughts?

I think I can safely say ALL PLC digital input cards have optoisolators.
Make sure the Zero Reference (input common) comes from the other machine.